Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Chevrolet Cruze Hatchback: How to make North American's Jealous

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chevy Cruze Guide

Chevy Cruze Guide

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Cruze's Year:None
  • My Cruze: mycruze

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

The dialog is not in English, however, the Cruze hatchback is a beautiful car and would make a wonderful addition to the North American lineup

Chevrolet Cruze Forum Team
Wyandotte, Michigan.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ChevyCruzeBE

ChevyCruzeBE

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Cruze LTZ AT 1800CC MY2010
  • Interests:It once was Chevrolet and US cars , now it is WWI WWII and pre Roman Western Europe...

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

The dialog is not in English, however, the Cruze hatchback is a beautiful car and would make a wonderful addition to the North American lineup
<br>
<br>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/mrOsRnizN24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its in dutch , and its not so very good he has to tell about the engines performance and he says the Cruze has no modern technics (don't know what he thinks what modern technics are)..
Let's Cruze !!!!

#3 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Current Vehicle:MY12 2.0VCDI 163hp Auto

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

Its in dutch , and its not so very good he has to tell about the engines performance and he says the Cruze has no modern technics (don't know what he thinks what modern technics are)..

Couldn't understand most of the things he said. Could you understand if he was testing the 1.6L or 1.8L petrol ?

On the plus side, he mention about a good relationship between price and quality, and the "looks" of the car. On the minus side, he mention it is not much sophisticated and it lacks some technology ... I wonder what he means by that ... specially if we take into consideration the other options available on the market for a similar price.

Regards

#4 OFFLINE   Bruce

Bruce

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze Eco
  • Interests:Cars, Photography, Family events

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Europe needs the 1.4 Turbo or 2.0 Turbo option. Then he would be impressed with the "Technik"! Fuel efficient, torquey power!

Bruce

#5 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Europe needs the 1.4 Turbo or 2.0 Turbo option. Then he would be impressed with the "Technik"! Fuel efficient, torquey power!

Bruce

The 1.4T It's already in here, but for the moment, only in the SW version of the Cruze. Later it will spread to the hatchback and sedan version.
Apart from that, we have the 1.6 and 1.8, both petrol.

On the diesel side, we have the 1.7 turbo (130hp) and 2.0 turbo (163hp)

#6 OFFLINE   ProDigit

ProDigit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Eco Cruze

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

It would be impractical!
A hatchback is for cities. Americans are more on highway roads than any other person from any other nationality.
The cruze is made for long distance rides. In other words, it's optimized to run in the city from 40MPH to 60MPH.

The body style of the cruze is a sedan, meant to do long distances. A hatchback would defeat the purpose of creating a fuel efficient car. They already have the sonic for that, which I think is a pitty, because the Sonic Sedan looks 100x better than a hatchback.
And most americans would agree on that! A sedan is more of a luxury car than a hatchback.
Give me a sedan over a hatchback anytime.
I doubt you're going to get many Americans jealous with that.
In fact, I'd rather have a Sonic sedan, than a Cruze hatchback!

#7 OFFLINE   ProDigit

ProDigit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Quick translation video:

He's saying that most Euro countries are sedan countries.
In NL they prefer 9/10 a hatchback (which is not true, just a one man perspective).

They say hatchbacks look nicer (which I fully disagree with that), and is handier for unloading gear (which is true).

Concerning the engines they say the 1,6 and 1,8 liter engines are quite large (for NL, and BE that is true).
And the 2.0 Diesel is monstrous (for those countries it's like having a 4liter V8)!

According to the guy, the turbo kicks in after 4K rpm (I highly doubt that, on my cruze the turbo kicks in from ~2k RPM)

He says that the steering is too light, the gear box feels clippy/cracky/bony/hard (don't know the exact words), and that the (european) cruze's shocks are not good (I find my US version's shocks superior to all the jap crap, and the 2000's BMW, and Volkswagens out there).

they say "don't expect a quality car for the money, because it's sub par to the Opel Astra". (the last Opel Astra I sat in, broke down every 6 months, and felt about the same save for the seats, where the cruze sucks at).

Edited by ProDigit, 07 November 2012 - 07:20 PM.

• ChevyCruzeBE likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

It would be impractical!
A hatchback is for cities. Americans are more on highway roads than any other person from any other nationality.
The cruze is made for long distance rides. In other words, it's optimized to run in the city from 40MPH to 60MPH.

The body style of the cruze is a sedan, meant to do long distances. A hatchback would defeat the purpose of creating a fuel efficient car. They already have the sonic for that, which I think is a pitty, because the Sonic Sedan looks 100x better than a hatchback.
And most americans would agree on that! A sedan is more of a luxury car than a hatchback.
Give me a sedan over a hatchback anytime.
I doubt you're going to get many Americans jealous with that.
In fact, I'd rather have a Sonic sedan, than a Cruze hatchback!

Why you think that hatchbacks are for cities and sedan for highway? Both Cruze versions, share the same interior, the same engines, pretty much all the same (including fuel consumption), except the trunk! ... the hatchback is only 87 millimetres shorter than the sedan ... in more than 4,5 meters long, 87 millimetres is peanuts.

About hatchback, what you think of cars like: Alfa Romeo Giulietta, VW Scirocco, Opel Astra GTC, Ford Focus RS, Audi TTS ... better an equivalent sedan ? hell no! A sedan being more a luxury car than a hatchback ... that's new for me. On the same class, with the same specs (like cruze 4d and 5d) they are exactly the same, only a matter of personal choice.

When I ordered my Cruze (exactly a year ago) I've ordered a hatchback version, but somehow Chevrolet managed to mix up my order, and they delivered me a sedan. I got very upset, and if it wasn't for being another 5 months waiting, I would have sent my Cruze back, and waited for the right version. But I've decided to stick with the sedan version, and now I've got used to the idea.

Edited by Lagaffe, 11 November 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   ProDigit

ProDigit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

A sedan is built more fuel efficient, and for faster speeds, so automatically gets better highway MPGs.
On paper they may say the same, but the hatchbacks more than likely will consume more fuel than a sedan.

In the city, they might be better, because of their smaller size, and lower curb weight, which helps them accelerate faster.

IMHO, hatchbacks where a nice niche from the nineties, but they're still way less beautiful than a sedan!
It's like saying a cube car is more beautiful than a hatchback!

#10 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

A sedan is built more fuel efficient, and for faster speeds, so automatically gets better highway MPGs.
On paper they may say the same, but the hatchbacks more than likely will consume more fuel than a sedan.

Can't see the logic in that, and it is easy to prove otherwise, just look at the data that GM provides for the sedan and hatchback versions.

IMHO, hatchbacks where a nice niche from the nineties, but they're still way less beautiful than a sedan!
It's like saying a cube car is more beautiful than a hatchback!

Well, it is your opinion, and I respect that. Mine is quiet the opposite. But it all has a logic meaning, it wasn't by chance that GM decided to first launch the hatchback and SW versions of the Cruze outside of the US ... an oposite thinking reason is applied to SUV's or even pick-up trucks. We don't have many of those in here, or when we get to have, they were already launched in the US long time ago. The reason for that: different markets, different persons, different personal choices.

By the way, did you know that only 2,65% of all the cars in Portugal are Chevrolet ? ... and more than 44% are BMW ? And in the all Europe the Chevrolet quote is as low as 1,36%

#11 OFFLINE   ProDigit

ProDigit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

The reason why the numbers are the same, is because no one has taken the time to testdrive, and update the results.
It's the same engine, same transmission, thus it should produce the same results?
Nah...

A hatchback just like a cube car, are known to have more drag on their rear, because of the way they are made.
A sedan is more optimized in efficiency of wind resistance.

Besides, someone hitting your rear, will always save the Sedan passengers better than the Hatchback, another reason that the Sedan is made for higher speeds than a hatchback.
With a hatchback, the motor of the car behind is almost sticking in the ears of the rear passengers.
Something you'll probably never see at sub 35MPH city roads; but you will see on 45+MPH highway roads.

#12 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

You really think that nobody has taken the time to measure ? from any brand? neither Chevy, neither from Opel Astra (just to stick with GM, and delta 2 platform) ... they have spent millions on developing a new version, and after they don't test drive ... seriously !?

There might be a slight difference in drag coefficient between the sedan and hatch, but for its level of performance it is negletable. Besides it makes a lot more difference to change the front grill fins, than the shape of the rear end (unless you pretend to drive backwards the all time).

Besides, someone hitting your rear, will always save the Sedan passengers better than the Hatchback, another reason that the Sedan is made for higher speeds than a hatchback.
With a hatchback, the motor of the car behind is almost sticking in the ears of the rear passengers.

Are you serious? is this your opinion based on any know facts (if so, I would like to see those), or it is only your personal opinion?

Some years ago, people were thinking that driving big SUV's with high road clearance would be safer than driving a normal car. After it was proved otherwise. Personal opinions and common sense are no substitute for real facts!

#13 OFFLINE   ProDigit

ProDigit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Lagaffe, you're a joke, and I'll just ignore you. Seems like you know it all, yet I feel you know nothing...
I'm not going to bother explaining the obvious.

#14 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Very interesting reply, after I asked you to support your answer with some data!

This is a forum, where people are supposed to exchange ideas, know-how and/or whatever they fell like ... just don't feel surprised if others don't agree with you, and ask you to show some proof of what you're saying. What is "obvious" to you, might not be to others.

I couldn't care less of what you might think about me, or what I know, or what I don't know, I'm not here to try to prove my self on anything, and, my friend, If you take a look, you can see that I'm here at a lot more time than you are.
  • ChevyCruzeBE likes this

#15 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

One of the basic rules of aerodynamics, at least as far as this ancient and calcified brain can recall, is "hold the flow down until it goes turbulent, then chop it off there."

That's why the FIAT-Abarth high-speed cars looked like they did, started off as a tear-drop, and then just got cut off.

This means that a Golf hatchback is probably more aerodynamic than a Cruze HB, or an E-Type.

And again, if I recall, lots of station-wagons are/were more aerodynamic than their sedan or coupe variants.
  • Lagaffe likes this

168124.png

#16 OFFLINE   ProDigit

ProDigit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

The thing is, that the air goes turbulent in different lengths.
Where a hatchback may be good for, a sedan (due to it's larger length) may be better at higher speed.
At lower speed, aerodynamics make little sense. So the question is, for what speeds are hatchbacks and sedans made?

Out of the many cars on the market, there's a general curve; and though I haven't studied it, I would say, Hatchbacks make sense for speeds under 45MPH. Sedans for under 65MPH.
I would love to compare a hatchback with a sedan, but can say almost for sure that a sedan will get the better gas mileage at anything above 30-35MPH; or better even, a sedan makes better MPG's when driving at constant speeds, at just about any speed!

Reason is, that a hatchback has a larger vertical surface area in it's rear. That's bad.
On a sedan the air flows over the roof, rear window, and the only vertical rear (that causes air drag) is the trunk area (unlike a hatchback where it's the whole car's rear).

Edited by ProDigit, 17 November 2012 - 03:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·