Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Error code 84

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stafrace_d

stafrace_d

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Chevrolet Cruze

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

Hello people,

Kindly note that I have an error code 84 on my display everytime I start the vehicle. I'm aware of the fact that it means " engine reduced power", but what does it really mean? What is the cause of this error and how to fix?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by stafrace_d, 08 October 2011 - 04:43 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stafrace_d

stafrace_d

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Chevrolet Cruze

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

Dear all, I own the 2011 version and it seems that there is a new version of software for the Cruze?!

System has been upgraded by the dealaer for free and error has been fixed.

Case closed. Thanks anyway. Cheers

#3 OFFLINE   CDX Dave

CDX Dave

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:19 AM

We had the same code a few months back shortly after the car was due for its first inspection service. Anywhoo...service department advised that if the service code is not cancelled after servicing, then you get code 84 because the ecu assumes you havent serviced the car so the ecu automatically reduces engine power to protect the engine.

#4 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:opel
  • Interests:cars

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

should I interpret this that if I replace the engine oil by myself and not reset the ECU service code the engine will later go into reduced power for no reason?

#5 OFFLINE   CDX Dave

CDX Dave

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

Assuming what the service department advised was correct, then I guess that may well be the case (which would be annoying). But surely there must be another way of resetting the service interval reminder/auto protect function? its definately the first that I've heard of a car "reducing power" to save itself from late servicing? Pretty sure VW's don't have that feature but at least you can manually or electronically reset the service interval reminder yourself.

Edited by CDX Dave, 30 October 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Kalpazan

Kalpazan

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:28 PM

Found on Internet. Not sure if it works on Cruze (most likely it does). And I think it is not recommended either.

"Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery, leave it off for one hour then reconnect it. This will dump any temporary memory your Chevy's computer has stored. It will also generate a pass code that will clear itself after driving the vehicle for a few days. Most state emissions stations will fail you if you have pass codes stored; so if you plan to have an emissions test performed after clearing the codes this way, make sure you wait at least a few days and drive the Chevy as much as possible in that time span."

Edited by Kalpazan, 30 October 2011 - 11:29 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   CDX Dave

CDX Dave

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

Found on Internet. Not sure if it works on Cruze (most likely it does). And I think it is not recommended either.

"Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery, leave it off for one hour then reconnect it. This will dump any temporary memory your Chevy's computer has stored. It will also generate a pass code that will clear itself after driving the vehicle for a few days. Most state emissions stations will fail you if you have pass codes stored; so if you plan to have an emissions test performed after clearing the codes this way, make sure you wait at least a few days and drive the Chevy as much as possible in that time span."

Hmm...I'm sure Holden/Chevrolet would have some sort of OBD2 port access via software to delete/switch the codes off. Either that, or there must be some manual method of resetting it via the trip meter control stalk somehow.

#8 OFFLINE   Kalpazan

Kalpazan

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:48 PM

Yes, it has OBD2 port for sure but it requires special equipment and software that is expensive. I also suspect there is some funky combination of buttons (like ctrl+alt+del :-) to reset but so far I am unable to find it anywhere. :-(

#9 OFFLINE   Mr.Cruze

Mr.Cruze

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

on your steering stock is a button says MENU press it. it will show you oil life percentage. then hold down the button on the very end of the stock until it resets saying oil life at 100%. then drive your cruze for a minute and turn it off for 5 mins restart and the code 84 and engine light will go off.
.: Mr.Cruze :.

#10 OFFLINE   fazeYou

fazeYou

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

Sometimes Error 82, 84, etc. appears in almost new Cruze with low mileage. Error indicator often operates wrongly in this car, so if you feel your car's working properly you should clear an error list first.
There are two ways to clear the error list:
1. You should visit your authorized service centre so they could make computer testing and remove all errors.
2. You should remove contact from battery for a while. As Calpazan said it should be around 1 hour, however in my case ~20 minutes were enough. Actually in this way you may solve many malfunctions of car's electronics. At least this action wont make harm to your vehicle so i think this is a best solution which may be of first priority...

Edited by fazeYou, 19 January 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Osama Mattar

Osama Mattar

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

i have been the same problem on my cruze ..
but there is another light go on.. it's the yellow engine light !!
and the engine power is reduced !!

What is the problem or the solution??

Edited by Osama Mattar, 30 April 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   ChevyCruzeBE

ChevyCruzeBE

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • My Cruze's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Cruze LTZ AT 1800CC MY2010
  • Interests:It once was Chevrolet and US cars , now it is WWI WWII and pre Roman Western Europe...

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

i have been the same problem on my cruze ..
but there is another light go on.. it's the yellow engine light !!
and the engine power is reduced !!

What is the problem or the solution??

Go ASAP to dealer.....
Let's Cruze !!!!

#13 OFFLINE   Osama Mattar

Osama Mattar

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

Go ASAP to dealer.....

i have no chevy dealer where i am ..
so i want take some general information, what is the expected problems in this situation??

#14 OFFLINE   ChevyCruzeBE

ChevyCruzeBE

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • My Cruze's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Cruze LTZ AT 1800CC MY2010
  • Interests:It once was Chevrolet and US cars , now it is WWI WWII and pre Roman Western Europe...

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

i have no chevy dealer where i am ..
so i want take some general information, what is the expected problems in this situation??

Could be several things , compression failure , ignition failure , injection , air , ....

The only thing that You can do is to try a complete ECM reset by disconnecting the battery for an hour or so .
Reconnect the battery and drive ... if the code 84 shows back up than is it really time for expert to look at it.
Let's Cruze !!!!

#15 OFFLINE   Osama Mattar

Osama Mattar

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Could be several things , compression failure , ignition failure , injection , air , ....

The only thing that You can do is to try a complete ECM reset by disconnecting the battery for an hour or so .
Reconnect the battery and drive ... if the code 84 shows back up than is it really time for expert to look at it.

Thanks alot ..
i'll try disconnecting the battery cable ..

#16 OFFLINE   alva003

alva003

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:car repair tool

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Autel MaxiDiag US703 can help you clear the fault codes.

#17 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Current Vehicle:opel
  • Interests:cars

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

Reset codes by switching on ignition and press accelerator 3 times in short succession. The codes should disappear from the display. If there is something wrong with the car (assuming the code is displayed for no apparent reason) the code will reappear.

#18 OFFLINE   alva003

alva003

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:car repair tool

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

use maxiscan us703 code scan tool to clear the fault code.

Edited by alva003, 16 May 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   johannesburggeorge

johannesburggeorge

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • My Cruze's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:cruz 2. diesel turbo
  • Interests:business

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:06 AM

I have a 2013 cruze it 2.o diesel turbo. I get code 84 and 89 as soon I need power. Power cuts and lots of diesel smoke from exhaust. Any solutions PLEASE

#20 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

I have a 2013 cruze it 2.o diesel turbo. I get code 84 and 89 as soon I need power. Power cuts and lots of diesel smoke from exhaust. Any solutions PLEASE

Take it to a competent mechanic.

• mick15 likes this

168124.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·