Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Higher Octane Gas for Cruze Eco?

octane

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trybus7

trybus7

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevy Cruze Eco 1.4T Manual Transmission

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Would putting higher octane gas in my Cruze improve mileage or performance?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ProDigit

ProDigit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Eco Cruze

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

There's been some tests done, that it does (I've read some article about it recently); especially in hot environments.
In winter, using mid grade would be better.

In any case, you can always try and see the results on your mpg meter in the car!

#3 OFFLINE   Vetterin

Vetterin

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Cruze Eco 6MT

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

On another Cruze forum I belong to 91 or 93 octane pretty much is the fuel of choice for most. Personally, I think they're nutts! While it might help drivability in hot weather and (according to some) increase performance, the very few times I've tried higher octane I've noticed nothing. I bought an economy car for.........................ECONOMY, so offsetting that with buying higher priced gas is kinda contradictory. If you only fill up maybe every 2-3 weeks the price difference might not bother you but I drive 400 miles per week which does add up.
2011 Eco 6 sp manual
1985 Corvette Z51

Posted Image
Added: Rostra cruise control, Vent Visors, K&N SRI, OEM fog lights, mud flaps and tint.

#4 OFFLINE   rocketron66

rocketron66

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

I use 93 octane because the improved mileage more than makes up for the price premium of the gas. I always thought that you were throwing your money away using anything more than what the manufacture requires. I did several 1000 mile tests with 87 and 93 octane. For some reason, the Cruze ECO gets better mileage with 93.
2011 Cruze ECO
1.4L Turbo 6spd MT
Crystal Red Metallic

#5 OFFLINE   ProDigit

ProDigit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Eco Cruze

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

So far; I still need to do more testing, but I think either mid-grade 89, or premium 91 is best for the cruze.
It runs just fine on regular 87, but it's performance is lower (at least 2MPG's lower).

I don't use my car a lot (want to save it a bit), but my next fuel up will most likely be midgrade.

With regular there's definitely a performance and mpg decrease noticeable (for instance, I drive 33.2MPG in the city, 42-44MPG on the highway. With regular it's nearly impossible to attain these values, unless you're seriously reducing acceleration, keep a constant speed, and try driving behind a truck or so...

#6 OFFLINE   chememsu

chememsu

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Chevy Cruze ECO manual

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

The higher the compression (ie. Turbocharged), the more effect from higher octane. N/A engines run 9-11 psi compression ratio. A forced air system (turbo or super charged) are in the range of 12-14 psi. This compression ratio receives a large benefit from higher octane. Any vehicle with less than 12 psi compression will never see benefit from premium. However, because our engines run ~14 psi compression, we will see benefit. The higher octane helps prevent premature detonation in the cylinders. Also know as Knock. Our cars have a knock sensor that "retards" the engine when using lower grade gasoline. This lowers the performance of the engine and hence the mileage is effected. The knock sensor is the enemy and you should do everything you can to keep it passified. Knock is very temperature dependent and helps explain why summer effect is greater than winter effect. I have owned 2 pontiac grand prix's with the 3800 supercharged engines. Both these engines had a 10-12% increase in mileage when using premium. With a cost premium of 5-6%. The gain in mileage offsets the gain in gas cost. There is no reason why the 1.4L turbochaged engine would not see the same benefit. I will be switching to premium for my first fill up and will re-post with my results. It will not take long as I drive ~500 miles a week.

• mick15 and Lagaffe like this

#7 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Region:Europe
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze 2.0LT 150ps
  • Interests:cars and family

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

The higher the compression (ie. Turbocharged), the more effect from higher octane. N/A engines run 9-11 psi compression ratio. A forced air system (turbo or super charged) are in the range of 12-14 psi. This compression ratio receives a large benefit from higher octane. Any vehicle with less than 12 psi compression will never see benefit from premium. However, because our engines run ~14 psi compression, we will see benefit. The higher octane helps prevent premature detonation in the cylinders. Also know as Knock. Our cars have a knock sensor that "retards" the engine when using lower grade gasoline. This lowers the performance of the engine and hence the mileage is effected. The knock sensor is the enemy and you should do everything you can to keep it passified. Knock is very temperature dependent and helps explain why summer effect is greater than winter effect. I have owned 2 pontiac grand prix's with the 3800 supercharged engines. Both these engines had a 10-12% increase in mileage when using premium. With a cost premium of 5-6%. The gain in mileage offsets the gain in gas cost. There is no reason why the 1.4L turbochaged engine would not see the same benefit. I will be switching to premium for my first fill up and will re-post with my results. It will not take long as I drive ~500 miles a week.

Looking forward to seeing your results :)

Mick 15

#8 OFFLINE   whitexwiddow

whitexwiddow

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:82 corvette(orig), 2011 cruze, 1999 ford zx2(still faster than any cruze)

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:28 AM

Would putting higher octane gas in my Cruze improve mileage or performance?

All higher octane gasoline does is help protect against detonation also called knock.( thats when the pockets of air/fuel go boom when its not there turn and your internals wont like that) In no was will you increase gas milage. It is a common myth. What you will see is if you live in colder climates gasoline regardless of grade will have higher ethonal content to prevent freezing aside from other goodies they add in there. Epa gas milage for a vehicle is under perfect driving conditions. perfectly flat roadway, 70degree weather, open highway going 55 mph with no one in front of you, while cruise control is on. How often do you find yourself doing said driving conditions? Ive worked with cars long enough to know, if you want better gas milage, aero dynamics and weight reduction are all you can do.

• mick15 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   chememsu

chememsu

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Chevy Cruze ECO manual

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Some preliminary results. First tank fill with Premium (10.4 gallons). 91 octane used. Assume ~2 gallons remained in tank prior to fill-up that was dealer filled 87 octane. I would assume that the "mix" of 10.4 gallons 91 and 2 gallons of 87 would not effect numbers appreciably. 2nd fill with premium (10.0 gallons), traveled 395 miles. That is 39.5 mpg. The trip computer was continuing to increase from 34.7 received from dealer to reading 38.8 mpg. I will continue for 2 more tank fills with premium to obtain a good average. I will then switch over to 87 octane for the next 5 fills to obtain that average. I will repost every week or so. The preliminary numbers are looking around a 3-4 mpg gain with premium. This was expected due to the fact that the engine controller no longer has to retard the spark to avoid knock. The mpg gain of 10% - 15% does indeed make premium "more affordable" as premium is only a $.20 up charge which is only a 5% cost up at today's prices. As the price of gasoline continues to rise, the savings actually become greater as a percentage of overall yearly fuel cost.

• mick15 likes this

#10 OFFLINE   William Roberson

William Roberson

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

I drive for a living and my log adds up 246 miles a week in my old car.  At 56.5 cents a mile, I can deduct $138.99 on my tax forms next year.  The Ford was only getting 16 mpg, or 243 miles after a 14. gallon fill, but I'm going to get 280+ with the Cruze from the near 3/4 tank I got from the dealer.

I was thinking about if higher octane gas will get me any benefit, and may need to fill up by Tuesday 3am.  It will be my 1st tank in the new car.

Thanks for the input.  While I'm still not sold, I will find out for myself. I'm looking at a 40 cent per gallon difference at 4.47 for 93. I have found a little more happiness.

#11 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:opel
  • Interests:cars

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

Interesting to see that in the US cars do not benefit from high octane fuel. Benzine engines generally benefit from high octane fuel because the ECU allows the ignition timing to be advanced compared to low octane fuel using a knock sensor. Pinging or knocking as you call it in the US, occurs when the air fuel mixture ignites too early by high compression pressure. Generally engines run more efficiently when ignition timing is advanced. Modern engines including a knock sensor optimise the engine operation to operate more efficiently and economically.  

The operation of a knock sensor is as follows: The ECU advances timing until the knock sensor gives a signal to back off. This is done several times a second. 

It is true that some cars will not benefit from high octane fuel and I do not know what the situation is with 1.4 turbo cruze but i have tested several european cars and most give better or much better performance when using high octane 102 RON fuel compared to 98RON. Note that Europe and Australia have different RON standards to the US, numbers cannot be compared directly between the countries. For instance my 2001 model v6 Opel vectra get noticeably more responsive when using 102 RON fuel and the consumption drops by 15% which is more that enough to cover the higher cost of that fuel. Another Opel brand engine had an astonishing result when another smaller Opel engine had no difference at all, so the end result depend on the engine and its control unit. 

Since the 1.4 turbo engine is a European design engine I am certain that you will get noticeable benefit from high octane fuel. 

Engines without knock sensor most likely will not see any benefit using high octane fuel. 

When i fill high octane fuel the effect is apparent in less than 30 seconds, as soon as the new fuel reaches the engine. 

• ChevyCruzeBE, mick15 and Lagaffe like this

#12 OFFLINE   ECOcentric

ECOcentric

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Chevy Sonic RS

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

I agree with a lot of the guys here that unless you're running a lot of boost, you're inly going to get a "seat of the pants" performance improvement. Detonation is not only a function of boost, but also many other variables.

Temperature resulting from compression is the biggest killer. Keeping the combustion chamber temps down will allow the engine to run more boost without getting detonation. Keeping combustion chamber temps down is achieved with improved cylinder head castings (rough castings cause hot spots and detonation/pre-ignition), cooling the charge air using an intercooler/watermeth injection, oil jet piston cooling, sodium filled exhaust valves, engine operating temps, and lastly, retarding timing.

Chevy was able to pull this off by better designing the engine. Of course, if you up the boost, definitely use the higher octane gas.

And although ethanol (-170°F) has a lower freezing point than gasoline (-50°F), this is not why it is blended. It is added as part of the corn lobby's 2007 solution to energy security. It would be far cheaper, and more environmentally friendly to just use a stabilizing additive.

#13 OFFLINE   rocketron66

rocketron66

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:21 AM

With regular gas (87 octane) prices now below $2 a gallon in my area, it no longer makes sense to use premium (93 octane).  The percentage improvement in mileage is lower than the percentage price increase from regular to premium gasoline.   I changed back to regular when the price went below $2.25 a gallon.  Now it is in the $1.60's.  What a bargain.

• mick15 and Rudedog like this
2011 Cruze ECO
1.4L Turbo 6spd MT
Crystal Red Metallic

#14 OFFLINE   Baogiachevrolet

Baogiachevrolet

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Middle East
  • My Cruze's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Cruze
  • Interests:play Sports

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

I think they're nutts! While it might help drivability in hot weather and (according to some) increase performance, the very few times I've tried higher octane I've noticed nothing. I bought an economy car for.........................ECONOMY, so offsetting that with buying higher priced gas is kinda contradictory. If you only fill up maybe every 2-3 weeks the price difference might not bother you but I drive 400 miles per week which does add up. 

Regularly updated chevrolet models in Vietnam. The best price on the market for you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·