The Chevrolet Cruze Forum Welcomes You!
you're at the largest Chevy Cruze site on the web!

Custom Search

Welcome to Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Chevrolet Cruze Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Chevrolet Cruze Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

about Cruze's Rear Suspension?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jackwang

jackwang

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:48 AM

which type is Cruze's Rear suspension?

I find it on english,ameria,china,korea,Australia, the website tell me curze's Rear Suspension is torsion beam .

Only in singapore,the website tell me that is multi-link.

It really makes me wonder.

What on earth?

who can tell me the truth??

thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   sturtles

sturtles

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:16 AM

I find it on english,ameria,china,korea,Australia, the website tell me curze's Rear Suspension is torsion beam .

What on earth?

thanks

Hi, are you from china?

Why is the rear setup important to you?

If it is, then don't buy the cruze.

#3 OFFLINE   jackwang

jackwang

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hi, are you from china?

Why is the rear setup important to you?

If it is, then don't buy the cruze.

Yes,i come from china

don't be sorry, i really need to hear the truth

Cruze in singapore's Rear Suspension is really Muti-link???

I suspect it is the web site wrong

can you tell me truth?thank you

#4 OFFLINE   CruzeDK

CruzeDK

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

Yes,i come from china

don't be sorry, i really need to hear the truth

Cruze in singapore's Rear Suspension is really Muti-link???

I suspect it is the web site wrong

can you tell me truth?thank you

Possible wrong info on the website... Same goes for the French site. They write that the Cruze VCDI 125hp has a Turbo with non VNT...simply not true..
-------------------------------
/ L

#5 OFFLINE   jackwang

jackwang

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

thanks , CruzeDK

i think so,but i cant sure.

Curze in singapore come from Korea or Thailand?

#6 OFFLINE   Disbeliever

Disbeliever

Cruze Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

What on earth?

thanks
The UK version CRUZE has the cheap torsion beam suspension which gives a poor bone shaking ride on rough roads, perfectly OK on a smooth road. As fas as I know it is only the forthcoming US version that has the better Watts-linkage system plus many other improvements.

#7 OFFLINE   Ferroviaphile

Ferroviaphile

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

As the Cruze's floor pan is the same as the latest Vauxhall/Opel Astra it might be of interest to have a look at the rear suspension of an Astra, as I did today. You will find a Watts linkage under there, as on the US Cruzes. You will also find a twist-beam rear suspension set up which looks remarkably like the one under the UK Cruze.
Now have a look at www.honestjohn.co.uk and go to the Vauxhall Astra 2010 Road Test. It explains that the Watts linkeage, by preventing sideways movement of the rear axle beam in relation to the body, particularly when cornering, allows the fitting of softer rear suspension bushes, softer rear springs, and (presumably) different rate dampers, to give a more compliant ride.
Personally, whilst the Cruze's ride may be considered a litttle on the firm side, at least the rear end doesn't try to hop sideways if it encounters a manhole cover or similar mid-bend, as both my Renault Megane mark 2s did. And the Cruze's suspension is much more neatly made than the Renault.
In the US the Freeways and Interstates tend to be unevenly surfaced, but without any sharp corners. Therefore soft suspension, to give a comfortable ride, is preferable, as there is no necessity for firmer, sharper handling suspension.
I haven't worked out yet if it's possible to change a UK spec rear suspension to US spec, but I guess Disbeliever will have sold his Cruze in disgust before I've sorted that out!!

#8 OFFLINE   sturtles

sturtles

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

As the Cruze's floor pan is the same as the latest Vauxhall/Opel Astra it might be of interest to have a look at the rear suspension of an Astra, as I did today. You will find a Watts linkage under there, as on the US Cruzes. You will also find a twist-beam rear suspension set up which looks remarkably like the one under the UK Cruze.
Now have a look at www.honestjohn.co.uk and go to the Vauxhall Astra 2010 Road Test. It explains that the Watts linkeage, by preventing sideways movement of the rear axle beam in relation to the body, particularly when cornering, allows the fitting of softer rear suspension bushes, softer rear springs, and (presumably) different rate dampers, to give a more compliant ride.
Personally, whilst the Cruze's ride may be considered a litttle on the firm side, at least the rear end doesn't try to hop sideways if it encounters a manhole cover or similar mid-bend, as both my Renault Megane mark 2s did. And the Cruze's suspension is much more neatly made than the Renault.
In the US the Freeways and Interstates tend to be unevenly surfaced, but without any sharp corners. Therefore soft suspension, to give a comfortable ride, is preferable, as there is no necessity for firmer, sharper handling suspension.
I haven't worked out yet if it's possible to change a UK spec rear suspension to US spec, but I guess Disbeliever will have sold his Cruze in disgust before I've sorted that out!!

Hi Ferrovaphile,

I have seen a review by car and driver that the standard US cruze uses the Watts Linkage, while the US Eco cruze model utilises one without, but with stiffer bushing for the weight savings.

With this, it seems plausible that we might just be able to fit the additional linkage to the European/UK specced cruze, and change to a softer bushing at the same time.

Just need a clear photo of the 2 car variants and compare them side to side. That should help

#9 OFFLINE   Disbeliever

Disbeliever

Cruze Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

[quote name='sturtles' date='25 June 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1277506790' post='1589']
Hi Ferrovaphile,

I have seen a review by car and driver that the standard US cruze uses the Watts Linkage, while the US Eco cruze model utilises one without, but with stiffer bushing for the weight savings.

With this, it seems plausible that we might just be able to fit the additional linkage to the European/UK specced cruze, and change to a softer bushing at the same time.

Just need a clear photo of the 2 car variants and compare them side to side. That should help

I test drove the overpriced Astra recently and whilst the suspension was definately more compliant than the Cruze it was not as good as I expected. but this was unfortunately not over my usual test route. I do not think it will be wotrh while to update the torsion beam rear suspension to the Watts-Linkage but I shall watch with interest if anyone manages to do it and at what cost ?]

#10 OFFLINE   Tear

Tear

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:50 PM

I'm in two minds over the Cruze suspension. As a personal choice I like a firm ride with good cornering ability. The Cruze certainly has that to its favour! It also appears not to transmit sudden pothole jolts into the cabin, which is also worth a few more Brownie-Points. What I do find most annoying however, is the noises transmitted by the rear suspension, tyres, or whatever! Travelling through the Czech Republic the other day, on a motorway partly constructed of ridged concrete sections, the noise in the cab was simply dreadful - a continual cacophony of bangs and thumps which made conversation impossible. But even on normal roads the banging and thumping exists and it is only on newer sections of tarmac roads that one can experience the effect of silent travel!

#11 OFFLINE   Ferroviaphile

Ferroviaphile

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:03 AM

Disbeliever,
At the risk of appearing pedantic, both the UK spec and the US spec Cruze have twist beam rear suspension. The Watt's linkage is just an "add-on" necessary with the softer US suspension to prevent the body moving outwards over the rear suspension.

Incidentally, the Vauxhall Astra brochure describes the suspension as "lightweight compound crank rear axle with one-piece, hollow cast trailing arms. Built-in anti-roll bar. Progressive-rate double conical mini-block springs with Watt's link and gas pressure dampers".

The Astra also has a space-saver spare wheel, not the full size wheel of the Cruze. This may mean that the boot floor panel isn't as deep, to allow for the Watt's linkage. I'll check this out as soon as I can.

#12 OFFLINE   Disbeliever

Disbeliever

Cruze Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

I'm in two minds over the Cruze suspension. As a personal choice I like a firm ride with good cornering ability. The Cruze certainly has that to its favour! It also appears not to transmit sudden pothole jolts into the cabin, which is also worth a few more Brownie-Points. What I do find most annoying however, is the noises transmitted by the rear suspension, tyres, or whatever! Travelling through the Czech Republic the other day, on a motorway partly constructed of ridged concrete sections, the noise in the cab was simply dreadful - a continual cacophony of bangs and thumps which made conversation impossible. But even on normal roads the banging and thumping exists and it is only on newer sections of tarmac roads that one can experience the effect of silent travel!

I disagree the Cruze torsion beam rear suspension definately DOES transmit sudden pothole jolts into the cabin on UK roads which I experience & suffer every day on the unrepaired roads around where I live. However I do agree that the car holds the road well with good cornering ability . Compared with my previous two Dodge Calibers the tyre noise is very much quieter and there is virtually no torque steer. Unfortunately the leading consumer UK magazine Which? does not like the car saying that depreciation will be very high and that the all round visibility is very poor. I do not agree with them for the latter and for the former this remains to be seen.

#13 OFFLINE   sturtles

sturtles

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:40 AM

Disbeliever, for once, I agree with you on the harsh rear suspension

Here's a tidbit for everyone.

Posted Image

The Cruzy's rear suspension blowup, courtesy of Bazi :)

Now I just need to get my hands on the US Watt's linkage blowup, and the world will be fine and dandy, IF it fits easily
  • Ferroviaphile likes this

#14 OFFLINE   nevian

nevian

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

Here is picture of wats link on cruze in usa
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   sturtles

sturtles

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:51 AM

Here is picture of wats link on cruze in usa
Posted Image

Good Find bro,

What's missing in the pic is how the 2 Z linkage is linked to the rear absorbers/torsion beam.

Everything else looks identical, cept for the torsion beam replaced with a twist beam.

#16 OFFLINE   nevian

nevian

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

Yup, i gess it is mounted somewhere on the car, well keep it on mind tho

#17 OFFLINE   Ferroviaphile

Ferroviaphile

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

First, thanks to the members who managed to find the rear suspension diagrams of the 2 variants.

I got chance tonight to look underneath a couple of Astras, and it seems not all of them have the Watt's linkage, some are just like the (non-US) Cruze.

On the ones that do have the linkage, the cross-member which carries the pivot for the two links is bolted to the rear chassis rails just to the rear of the silencer (which appears to be very similar on both Astra and Cruze). The outer ends of these transverse links bolt to the suspension arms close to the bottom mount for the shock absorber.....but the Cruze arms don't have any provision for this. So if anyone wants to try changing the suspension it would appear that they will need the whole rear suspension from an Astra.

And however Vauxhall describe the suspension compared with Chevrolet's description, it is a twist beam set up on both cars, whether fitted with Watt's linkage or not.

By the way, don't forget to tell your Insurance Company about the swap. That should be an interesting conversation!!!!!!! You've done WHAT?? WHY?? You'll have to get an engineer's report before we can cover the vehicle in case you haven't done it properly!!!!

#18 OFFLINE   Disbeliever

Disbeliever

Cruze Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

Good Find bro,

What's missing in the pic is how the 2 Z linkage is linked to the rear absorbers/torsion beam.

Everything else looks identical, cept for the torsion beam replaced with a twist beam.

Having driven the Astra with watts linkage ,I did not find it very much better. Yes it was better but not very much.

#19 OFFLINE   Disbeliever

Disbeliever

Cruze Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

First, thanks to the members who managed to find the rear suspension diagrams of the 2 variants.

I got chance tonight to look underneath a couple of Astras, and it seems not all of them have the Watt's linkage, some are just like the (non-US) Cruze.

On the ones that do have the linkage, the cross-member which carries the pivot for the two links is bolted to the rear chassis rails just to the rear of the silencer (which appears to be very similar on both Astra and Cruze). The outer ends of these transverse links bolt to the suspension arms close to the bottom mount for the shock absorber.....but the Cruze arms don't have any provision for this. So if anyone wants to try changing the suspension it would appear that they will need the whole rear suspension from an Astra.

And however Vauxhall describe the suspension compared with Chevrolet's description, it is a twist beam set up on both cars, whether fitted with Watt's linkage or not.

By the way, don't forget to tell your Insurance Company about the swap. That should be an interesting conversation!!!!!!! You've done WHAT?? WHY?? You'll have to get an engineer's report before we can cover the vehicle in case you haven't done it properly!!!!

Its very unlikely that anyone will bother to swap the linkage, insufficient improvement..

#20 OFFLINE   Ravage05

Ravage05

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

US version looks interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·