Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Infotainment screen goes black/all audio stops while driving

radio infotainment stops working black screen

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bryce Kintigh

Bryce Kintigh

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Recently while driving my 2013 Cruze Eco (just hit 8K miles on it this morning)  the radio and infotainment area goes completely black.  At first I thought it was related to my phone being attached via Bluetooth, but it now does it regardless.  I first noticed it while on a conference call.  Driving down the highway, the screen goes black, disconnects the Bluetooth connection and eventually comes back on after 45 seconds or so.  Now it does it while just listening to the radio.  All audio ceases and the screen goes completely black.  It also doesn't respond to any buttons while the screen is black. 

I also noticed that my blinker is silent while the screen is black, so obviously the blinker noise comes through the speakers. 

Anyone else had this issue?  Using the radio and Bluetooth is very important to me, so it is extremely frustrating when it doesn't work properly.  The radio has died on me every day for the past 3 weeks.  I thought maybe it was heat related, but it does it when it's 103 degrees and when it's 78. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-09-10 09.43.25.jpg

• ChevyCruzeBE, mick15, ddidome and 1 other like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Region:Europe
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze 2.0LT 150ps
  • Interests:cars and family

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Recently while driving my 2013 Cruze Eco (just hit 8K miles on it this morning)  the radio and infotainment area goes completely black.  At first I thought it was related to my phone being attached via Bluetooth, but it now does it regardless.  I first noticed it while on a conference call.  Driving down the highway, the screen goes black, disconnects the Bluetooth connection and eventually comes back on after 45 seconds or so.  Now it does it while just listening to the radio.  All audio ceases and the screen goes completely black.  It also doesn't respond to any buttons while the screen is black. 

I also noticed that my blinker is silent while the screen is black, so obviously the blinker noise comes through the speakers. 

Anyone else had this issue?  Using the radio and Bluetooth is very important to me, so it is extremely frustrating when it doesn't work properly.  The radio has died on me every day for the past 3 weeks.  I thought maybe it was heat related, but it does it when it's 103 degrees and when it's 78. 

Have you been to see your dealer as it could be a firmware problem?

• ChevyCruzeBE likes this
Mick 15

#3 OFFLINE   Bryce Kintigh

Bryce Kintigh

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Have you been to see your dealer as it could be a firmware problem?

I'll probably take it by the dealer today or tomorrow, was just curious if anyone had similar issues.  Hopefully they will have a fix!

• ChevyCruzeBE and mick15 like this

#4 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hi Bryce,

Please keep us posted on your dealer visit. If there's anything we can do to assist please feel free to message us.

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

• MRB455 likes this

~Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#5 OFFLINE   Holly-Nelson Dumas

Holly-Nelson Dumas

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

same problem with my 2011. especially when i tap brakes!  comes back on in 10-20 seconds. have to look up under dash to see if wire harness is being caught by braking mechanism.  hope cust. serv. can help us.  

• mick15 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hi Holly-Nelson,

I can understand how this may frustrate you a bit. I would be happy to look more into this for you. Could you please send us your VIN and mileage? Also, has your dealership been able to recreate this issue in their service department? We look forward to hearing from you through private message.

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#7 OFFLINE   MRB455

MRB455

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze ECO and 2012 Cruze LS
  • Interests:Old GM musclecars

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

Monday and Tuesday, 1/27/14 and 1/28/14, mine did the exact same thing!  I recorded it with my cell phone.   Showed the video to my local dealer (Shelor Chevy) and got no where as I turned 37K miles 2 weeks ago.....   This is NOT an isolated situation from what I am seeing.

Anyone get this fixed?

#8 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Monday and Tuesday, 1/27/14 and 1/28/14, mine did the exact same thing!  I recorded it with my cell phone.   Showed the video to my local dealer (Shelor Chevy) and got no where as I turned 37K miles 2 weeks ago.....   This is NOT an isolated situation from what I am seeing.

Anyone get this fixed?

Hello MRB455,

We certainly understand how you must feel, and recognize your desire to have this issue properly addressed. If there is anything we can do to try and better assist with this situation, please message us your full name, VIN, contact information and the location of your dealership.

Thanks,

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

#9 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

Anyone get this fixed?

Try another dealer or your nearest ICE store who maybe able to help you.

Mick 15

#10 OFFLINE   MRB455

MRB455

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

My car is at Shelor Chevy in Blackburg, VA now.   GM Customer Care offered to pay for one (1) hour of Technician's time to see if there was a code.  (Based on what I am seeing, the radio is not reporting a code, just shutting down.)  I did send them a link for a 115MB file I took with my cell phone, showing the radion constantly shutting down and re-booting.  This is my proof. 

As I noticed this was happening just as I hit 36K miles, let's see what is done re: this, as it is not an isolated issue.........

Mike Brown

• ChevyCruzeBE, mick15 and jackie like this

#11 OFFLINE   MRB455

MRB455

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

I was impressed that GM Customer Care requested my VIN number, full name, contact data and dealer I am trying to get support from....   This forum will not allow me to do this w/o having 5 posts.

Amber - Is there any way to provide this information to you?  Please assist any way you can....   I have purchased 2 of these cars in the past 7 months.......   Mine and my daughters....

#12 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

I was impressed that GM Customer Care requested my VIN number, full name, contact data and dealer I am trying to get support from....   This forum will not allow me to do this w/o having 5 posts.

Amber - Is there any way to provide this information to you?  Please assist any way you can....   I have purchased 2 of these cars in the past 7 months.......   Mine and my daughters....

Hi Mike,

You can also contact me through email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please include the requested contact information from the previous post as well.

Thanks!

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

#13 OFFLINE   MRB455

MRB455

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

Amber,

E-mail has been sent.

Awaiting your response,

MRB455

Salem, VA

(Owner of two 2012 Cruzes...)

#14 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

Amber,

E-mail has been sent.

Awaiting your response,

MRB455

Salem, VA

Amber,

E-mail has been sent.

Awaiting your response,

MRB455

Salem, VA

Hi there,

I just responded to your email.

Thanks,

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

#15 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:42 AM

I'll probably take it by the dealer today or tomorrow, was just curious if anyone had similar issues.  Hopefully they will have a fix!

Just wondering what was the outcome of your visit to the dealer ?

Mick 15

#16 OFFLINE   MRB455

MRB455

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

Mick15,

Dealer had my car a second day.   Here is the status as of this morning.....   Since I purchased the car at 34k miles, I just passed the 36K mile for my bumper-to-bumper GM warranty.  GM did authorize one (1) hour for the dealer to work on this.   Based on the comments made by the dealer, I do not know if this will be supported or not.  I hope to find sosmething out today (2/4/14). 

NOTE:   If you see your Infotainment center screen go blank ONCE, take it to the dealer......   Get it documented.  As we are seeing in this (and another forum), this is not an isolated situation.   

GM has provided a list of four (4) tests for them to conduct.   I am confident that they will not find anything, as I feel this is a semiconductor breaking down when it heats up, after being operated for a few minutes.

MRB455

Salem, VA

#17 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Mick15,

Dealer had my car a second day.   Here is the status as of this morning.....   Since I purchased the car at 34k miles, I just passed the 36K mile for my bumper-to-bumper GM warranty.  GM did authorize one (1) hour for the dealer to work on this.   Based on the comments made by the dealer, I do not know if this will be supported or not.  I hope to find sosmething out today (2/4/14). 

NOTE:   If you see your Infotainment center screen go blank ONCE, take it to the dealer......   Get it documented.  As we are seeing in this (and another forum), this is not an isolated situation.   

GM has provided a list of four (4) tests for them to conduct.   I am confident that they will not find anything, as I feel this is a semiconductor breaking down when it heats up, after being operated for a few minutes.

MRB455

Salem, VA

From what I am seeing it does not occur with the Korean built models. I might be wrong on this so maybe someone who owns one will let us know.

Mick 15

#18 OFFLINE   MRB455

MRB455

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

Mick,

My car was built in Ohio, USA........  

Yesterday, I had to authorize $130.00 USD for the dealer to investigate this for 1.5 hours (at $90.00 USD per hour).  They claim GM is wanting four (4) tests conducted prior to the Infotainment system being replaced.....   (At my expense.)  They stated that GM is suspicious of what I am seeing on other forums, that the traction control is ALSO affected by whatever the root cause of this is......   GM must be aware of this, and if the traction control is being potentially affected, this can be safety related......

GM Customer Care has been contacting the dealer, which I am being told, but no one is communicating with me directly.   I have to go to the dealer (with their rental car) to see if my car is ready (and return the rental car) or do I go straight home.

Long term, I want my car to function correctly and safely, and I also have another 2012 Cruze that I purchased for my daughter.   I worry about this one now.

MRB455

Salem, VA USA

#19 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Cruze's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:MY12 2.0VCDI 163hp Auto

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

I really hope all the problems you are experiencing with your Cruze can be solved as soon as possible, just wanted to make a side note on this:

those are amongst the hardest problems to find when dealing with electronics, and I'm speaking from self experience. It may be any component, but, most likely it is some solder joint, PCB trace or other physical connection .. although this is not easy to find, its also not impossible, there are some stress tests that can be made ... but of course, it is required for someone to take the time and do it.

Keep us posted!

#20 OFFLINE   MRB455

MRB455

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

I am an Electrical Engineer....  This will not be easy, but you have to hear what GM is saying they wish the dealer to do.  They want them to replace the battery cables!  I should be able to completely remove the battery and the cables, while running off of 14.5VDC supplied from the alternator as I am going down the road.  Engine cranks fine when starting, and this is period of maximum current draw through the battery cables.....  The radio draws nothing as current goes, compared to A/C, electric radiator fan motor, fuel pump, and other 15-20 amp or higher loads.

I just want my car back, but what I do not understand is that GM has seen this previously, as viewed on this and other forums.   How were those situations resolved????

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: radio, infotainment, stops, working, black, screen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·