Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Please help!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chevy_dan07

chevy_dan07

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze 2.0l

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

HI all, Not sure if anyone will be able to help, but I have had some issues with my 2010 24k 2.0l diesel Cruze. Broke down last week after coming off a round about, accelerating and the engine decided to Rev freely to redline and wouldnt come down. Turned the engine off and it killed it. Got recovered by the RAC to the nearest garage and they have tested injector seels, injectors and no luck. The fuel has mixed in with the oil, creating a stupidly high 'oil' level. It will turn on and idle ok, but as soon as you press the accelerator it revs freely and you have to kill the engine. the garage dont want to start it again, as it will get to the point where it blows the engine. Anyone come across this before or any ideas what it might be? i am starting to loose my patience!!!!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • My Cruze's Year:None
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:MY12 2.0VCDI 163hp Auto

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

By your description, it all sounds like an "engine runaway" ... although it can happen, I've never heard of such thing in a modern, electronic controlled engine. The garage who took your car in, is it a GM representative ? I'm sorry, but it sounds strange that they don't know what to do, or even that they don't want to start your car engine again :shrug:

For those who wonder what a "Diesel engine runaway" is, please check wikipedia ... or the thousands of youtube videos.

• ChevyCruzeBE, diesel and mick15 like this

#3 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Region:Europe
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze 2.0LT 150ps
  • Interests:cars and family

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

HI all, Not sure if anyone will be able to help, but I have had some issues with my 2010 24k 2.0l diesel Cruze. Broke down last week after coming off a round about, accelerating and the engine decided to Rev freely to redline and wouldnt come down. Turned the engine off and it killed it. Got recovered by the RAC to the nearest garage and they have tested injector seels, injectors and no luck. The fuel has mixed in with the oil, creating a stupidly high 'oil' level. It will turn on and idle ok, but as soon as you press the accelerator it revs freely and you have to kill the engine. the garage dont want to start it again, as it will get to the point where it blows the engine. Anyone come across this before or any ideas what it might be? i am starting to loose my patience!!!!

If you have not already done so, then I would suggest you take it to your nearest GM / Chevrolet dealership and let them have a look. Lagaffe has given a good answer but it could also be down to the engine management system. Any way good luck in getting it sorted and please keep us all posted on the outcome.

Mick 15

#4 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

chevy_dan07 :)

Has your problem been fixed and what was the outcome?

Mick 15

#5 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Current Vehicle:opel
  • Interests:cars

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

By your description, it all sounds like an "engine runaway" ... although it can happen, I've never heard of such thing in a modern, electronic controlled engine. The garage who took your car in, is it a GM representative ? I'm sorry, but it sounds strange that they don't know what to do, or even that they don't want to start your car engine again :shrug:

For those who wonder what a "Diesel engine runaway" is, please check wikipedia ... or the thousands of youtube videos.

Interesting point Lagaffe, seems the only way to stop it is to block the air intake. Cruze has a butterfly just before the inlet manifold enters the engine. so the failure in chevy-dan07 case must be originated from the ECU controlling the air and fuel. could be something as simple as the potentiometer connected to the gas pedal has gone faulty. Also I would be concern if the runaway has already caused damage to the engine.

• mick15 and Lagaffe like this

#6 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • My Cruze's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:MY12 2.0VCDI 163hp Auto

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Absolutely, diesel! . There are linearity tests that can be done to the throttle potentiometer, even a cheap old analogic multimeter can do that ... also, easy to take out all the plumbing before the intake manifold and just look at the intake butterfly and see if it opens and closes as the accelerator is actuated ... all simple things to do that don't even require the engine to be running.

Wonder if chevy_dan07 has any update on this ?

• mick15 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

Wonder if chevy_dan07 has any update on this :waiting: 

Don't look like he has. 

So no one will know for sure what the problem was :headscratch:   Its always nice and polite   :)   to keep members of the forum updated if you are going to ask for their help or input regarding your problems even if the wrong advice or no advice is given. As it helps others with the same fault.

• Lagaffe likes this
Mick 15

#8 OFFLINE   gigel

gigel

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Interesting point Lagaffe, seems the only way to stop it is to block the air intake. Cruze has a butterfly just before the inlet manifold enters the engine. so the failure in chevy-dan07 case must be originated from the ECU controlling the air and fuel. could be something as simple as the potentiometer connected to the gas pedal has gone faulty. Also I would be concern if the runaway has already caused damage to the engine.

Cruze (at least the diesel version) has 2 potentiometers. If at least one of them would be faulty it should generate an error.

• mick15 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Current Vehicle:opel
  • Interests:cars

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

That is true gigel, we don't know if there was an fault code displayed. I also find it appalling that the ECU system does not have a more robust warning system if this happens, potentially this could be lethal. imagine that happens on an alpine road... turning off the engine from the key will do nothing other than locking the steering. the brakes will soon burn because the great torque of the engine, down it does, off the cliff. scary. 

the only way to stop the car is to select neutral gear.

• mick15 and Lagaffe like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·