Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Holden Cruze Error Code 82

Error code 82

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shaunkk

shaunkk

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Holden Cruze

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hi All,

Just a little feedback on the Holden Cruze sold in Australia.

I recently purchased a 2010 model CDX 2 litre diesel and was getting the error code 82 from the word go.

So I took the car to my mechanic who gave it a service and the full once over.

He gave it the thumbs up except was unable to reset the service oil change code 82.

He plugged in his scanner and still was unable to reset the code.

He also tried reseting it with the ignition on and 3 presses of the accelerator etc etc. but no dice.

So I called Holden and asked them what was the deal.

The response I got (from two different dealerships as I could not believe my ears from the first one) was that the only way to reset the Code 82 was to bring the car to a Holden dealership.

They have software that only Holden are privy to, and it's the only way to reset it. Apparently even Altratune etc etc bring the vehicles to Holden to reset the code (according to the Holden technician I spoke to).

Personally I feel this is unacceptable, I should have the freedom of choice to have who ever I like service my car. My mechanic is darn good and I'm sure is better then many of the juniors at Holden. Holden offer to reset the code for $44 - I refuse to pay the money so will just live with the code 82. Nice one Holden - you should be ashamed of yourselves!!!

I've always loved Holden cars but my next will most likely not be a Holden.

Thanks for hearing my rant to close out 2013!!

• mick15 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

That's weird - my 2009 CD Diesel threw a code 82 once, and I cleared it using the "ignition on and 3 presses of the accelerator" technique.

Did your mac follow these instructions http://www.justanswe...-82-cmming.html "Turn Ignition to on without starting fully depress the accelerator 3 times within a 5 second period and turn ignition off. This should reset the warning for you. If your vehicle was serviced by Holden they should have done this for you." closely?

It took me two tries to get it right.  The first time I didn't switch the ignition off soon enough.

• mick15 likes this

168124.png

#3 OFFLINE   shaunkk

shaunkk

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Hi GRS1961,

Yes mate, tried all that first (several times).

My mechanic has publications from the AAA (Australian Automotive Association) which provide tips like this.

He found the publication for the Cruze that described resetting code 82.

The publication had 2 methods - one was stepping through a menu system from the console which didn't exist on my 2010 model. The other was pressing the accelerator 3 times within 5 seconds after turning the ignition on and off - neither worked for me.

Both Holden dealerships were quite aware of the issue and told me the only way to reset code 82 was to bring it in. They told me the accelerator trick would not work in my case and exlplained that even scanners will not be able to reset this code - it must be done by their ??? system (Can't remember the 3 letter acronym for their diagnostics system which is exclusive to Holden)

Perhaps the accelerator trick works for some people but didn't in my case.

One dealership even tried to justify this unusual practice by explaining the amount of dollars invested in R&D and I explained to him that this is part of the initial purchase price of the vehicle and doesn't entitle them to force people back every time they need something as basic as an oil change.

#4 OFFLINE   shaunkk

shaunkk

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

The tool Holden use to reset code 82 is the Multi Diagnostic Interface (MDI) that allows a laptop to interface with the Cruze's computer.

I'm not sure why the Holden technician told me Altratune come to the dealership to get the code reset because they do seem to be available if you have a few thousand dollars to spare.

I guess in time these will be more readily available to other service centers.

#5 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

That's strange...

Not that the Holden dealers are wanting to charge - but if it's only $44, just pay it, FFS.

Hmm, went through my stuff, found this, which I presume is the method that doesn't exist (it doesn't exist on mine, either):

"

GM Oil Life System Resetting

The vehicle has a computer system that has a CHANGE ENGINE OIL light, indicating when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed. When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. The CHANGE ENGINE OIL light will come on. The oil must be changed as soon as possible. It is possible that, if the vehicle is driven under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changes at 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil and filter is changed.

To reset the OIL LIFE SYSTEM do the following:

1. Display OIL LIFE RESET on the driver information center (DIC).
  2. Press and hold the ENTER button for at least one second. An ACKNOWLEDGED display message will appear for 3 seconds or until the next button is pressed. This will tell you the system has been reset.
  3. Turn the key OFF. If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light comes back on and stays on when you start the vehicle, the engine oil life system has not been reset. Repeat the procedure.

"

I don't know if you caught the important bit in the "switch on - push, push, push - switch off" method, it has to be completed within 5 seconds, so:

00:00:00 switch ignition on

00:00:01 push-push-push

00:00:02 switch off

If you don't switch it off in time, it doesn't take.

But pay the $44 - or find out why the previous owner didn't.

And don't bitch about not buying another Holden - in a couple of years you won't be able to buy a Holden, anyway!

• mick15 and minsik like this

168124.png

#6 OFFLINE   Mayweather

Mayweather

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze 2.0 Diesel

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

I had this code appear on the weekend as my 60K service is fast approaching. I completed the full service in my driveway and proceeded to pump the accelerator pedal 3 times with the ignition on. This worked like a charm for me.
  • mick15 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   alsbaitco

alsbaitco

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze diesel wagon

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

I have an Australian Diesel Cruze wagon and couldn't reset the EOLS Code 82

The wagon is made in Korea not Australia like the hatch and sedan.

Tried the 3 accelerator pumps but no luck. This might work for some other car, but not mine.

This is my experience, not something I heard or found on the Net:

Turned on the ignition

Halfway along the indicator stalk is a menu button

There were only 2 options when I rotated the selector: one had an oil can symbol with 0% and rESEt.

Pressed the button on the end of the stalk for a second or so and it went to 100%. Turned the key off.

Thought that had fixed it, but when I turned the key back on I had the error code 82 again and the menu item was back to 0%.

Tried it the next morning with the engine running (held the button for a second, went to 100%) as I was about to drive somewhere.

When I arrived, I turned it off and on again and no longer get the error code.

I have parked it and locked it a couple of times since, and still ok.

After a week or so I'm going to check if the counter decrements down to 99% or less.

I expect it would go down 2 or 3% a week because I got about 9 months and 12000 km of Mum's taxi driving before Code 82 came on.

(follow-up - Yes it has decremented to 97 after a couple of drives)

Oil change is a piece of cake:

Take out the oil filler plug at the top and then lift up the black plastic engine cover.

It has three rubber grommets holding it in place

The filter holder is at the back left (looking from the front) So you don't have to get under the car to change the filter

The filter is a naked type so you have to unscrew the alloy holder.

The filter is clicked into the holder (check the replacement filter to see the circular plastic bit)

I held the plastic tube coming out the other end in a vice and the cover popped of by hand after some wriggling.

It wasn't any more expensive buying the genuine AC Delco Dexos 2 oil but first time you have to get two 5 litre bottles as it takes 5.4litres.

I've had quality issues with non genuine filters so buy the genuine one. Might get a better price from Barlo holden on Ebay

I peeled and cut out the Dexos 2 label off the oil bottle and the product seal off the box the filter came in and stuck them in my service manual for proof of using genuine products.

Stuff the dealers when servicing the diesel is nearly twice the price of the petrol.

Edited by alsbaitco, 03 June 2014 - 10:21 PM.

• mick15 and grs1961 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·