A local attorney sent what looks to be a mass mailing to Cruze owners saying that many 2011-12 Cruzes have serious defects that might fall under the State and Federal "lemon" laws. He claims that he has been able to get buybacks or cash settlements. I don't know if I would classify my car as a lemon but it has had its share of problems:
1. The A/C did not work the first time I used it. The car was in the dealership two days to fix.
2. The brakes had a sound like a loose spring with less than 10,000 miles which required a $100 "brake adjustment" not covered under warranty. I've never had such a service in any other car I owned.
3. The TPMS was not reset correctly by the dealership and they refused to fix it or even discuss it further with me.
4. The outdoor temperature display frequently does not work and shows the wrong temperature.
5. My model has had three recalls and one resulted in the odor of burning oil.
6. The steering system makes a clicking sound sometimes when making a sharp turn and is worse in colder weather. The dealer looked at it and said nothing was wrong and that they couldn't duplicate the condition but I hear it everyday. I read on this forum that it may be a problem with bearings for the rack and pinion steering.
7. My car gets nowhere near the gas mileage indicated and is now averaging about 20 mpg. The dealer said that is what I should expect.
8. One time the transmission would not shift correctly and the shift indicator started blinking. I had to turn the car off and on to get it to work. The condition has not happened since.
9. The car has turbo lag if I gas it hard from a stop. It's rare that I have to do that but if I need to do that the car has serious hesitation.
10. The heating system takes a long time to deliver warm air into the car. I can drive 5 or more miles without any warm air.
I never really thought of my car as a lemon, but listing all the issues I think they are a lot for a new car. Number 6, the noise in the steering is still a problem. I might give that attorney a call just to see what he says.
Edited by martinsxx, 25 February 2014 - 06:41 PM.