Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thermostat / AC disabled issue covered under powertrain warranty?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   captainjiffy

captainjiffy

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Cruze

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

I have a 2012 Cruze with the 1.8L engine, have had it since new.

Mileage is ~56,000 so out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

Looks like I have a similar fault to many others now with the thermostat causing engine to disable A/C, no reading on the gauge, etc issue.

Took to dealer today, dealer calls that it is fixed and there will be a cost to me.

Looking online I found a lot of similar discussion and folks confirming that this should be under the powertrain warranty.

Reviewed the powertrain warranty and I could not determine if it clearly states this is covered or not.

Can anyone help with something that confirms this is, or is not, covered under the powertrain warranty?

Looked like a lot of folk had to call or contact Chevrolet directly to get the fee waved.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hi Captainjiffy,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties that you are experiencing with your Cruze. I understand that you have taken your vehicle to the dealership in order for your concern to be diagnosed and repaired. I also understand that you have some warranty questions. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN and more details regarding your dealership visit. I will be glad to look further into this for you. I look forward to your reply!

Kristen A.

Chevrolet Customer Care

~Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#3 OFFLINE   Jstarr

Jstarr

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevy Cruze

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hi I'm new to this forum, I found out about this site by searching google to see if there were any known issues or recalls for the 2012 Cruze a/c turning off due to high engine temp and my thermostat only being at the halfway mark. I've had my Cruze for only 16months! So I took my vehicle to the dealership I purchased my car at this morning and I was told there would be a $80 diagnostic fee and I have no extended warranty.

I'm really nervous and praying that this issue won't be expensive, seeing how I really can't afford a major repair.

But what really upsets me is how researching this issue this problem seems to be COMMON and the dealership doesn't really know how to fix the issue, I've read that some ppl got their water pump fixed, their thermostat replaced, amongst other things. If this is a known issue, why haven't GM issued a recall?

#4 OFFLINE   captainjiffy

captainjiffy

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

Jstarr,

I will try to explain this as best as I can. I will assume that your car is not spitting water or steam from under the hood? If it is, dont drive it and contact your dealer ASAP.

If it isnt doing that, then the engine over heat fault, is a "false" negative, meaning the engine isnt actually overheating, but the car "thinks" it is.

Firstly, is your Cruze still under the 3 year, 36,000 warranty? If so, then any of this will be covered under warranty.

If not, then your Cruze will still be under the 5 year, 100,000 warranty and coverage will depend.

You are correct that this is a known issue, there is infact a service bulletin that covers this issue. Cannot remember the exact number of it, but I have it somewhere.

The service bulletin clearly documents the procedure the dealer must follow when investigating this error code (AC off due to high engine temp).

Step 1 - Verify software revision in engine computer for engine coolant temperature control, reflash to latest revision if not. Most modern engines, in order to create better fuel economy, have migrated to a electronically controlled thermostat, in place of the traditional mechanical spring style. This allows the engine temperature to stay much more constant, and the fuel map can be optimized for maximum economy. Parameters in earlier versions of the software were set too tight, and did not compensate for variability. The reflash inputs new parameters. This must be performed first, before any hardware changes are made or the dealers warranty charges to GM may not be refunded. If your vehicle is under the 3/36, this will be free. If not, it is a flat rate $87 to reload. There has not been a recall on this as it is not a fire or safety risk, the error causes the engine to go into a safe mode to protect the engine from overheating (althought it actually isn't).

Step 2 - If step 1 doesnt resolve problem, verify thermostat value operation. If incorrect, replace. This will be covered under both the 3/36 and 5/100 warranty.

Step 3 - If step 2 doesnt resolve problem, monitor and verify engine temperature sensor. Replace if outside of allowable tolerance range. Sensors are covered under the 3/36 but not the 5/100 (this is clearly documented in the 5/100 warranty disclaimer on the GM site). However, this is a less than $100 fix.

Step 4 - If step 3 does work, evalute entire cooling system, radiator, water pump, etc. All of this should be covered under the 3/36 and 5/100 warranty, unless GM can show evidence of neglect.

Unfortunately, each step takes time and usually means multiple trips to the dealer as in my case. Each time the dealer did a step, they were unable to duplicate the failure at the shop, but within 24 hours of taking the vehicle home it came back. Mine ended up being Step 3 to resolve.

My dealer worked with me on the charges, allowing me to apply the money I paid for the reprogram to the sensor replacement. I have subsequently contacted Chevrolet directly and have reached a satisfactory solution with them that will keep me as a customer for many years.

So this really all comes down to where you are with your warranty. I assume that your have had your car since new, or at the very least the original warranty was transfered to you when you purchased it used.

Recalls are usually only issued when it is a serious safety or fire risk. This is neither one. I personally do not hold GM accountable for updating my car computer to their latest version of software, for free, for the entire life of my vehicle. In my case, I was outside of the 3/36 but inside the 5/100.

If your dealership is saying they "dont really know how to fix it", I suggest you contact another dealer as this is a well known and documented issue. Along with a process to follow to investigate and correct.

But again, each step will take time unless the error comes back on immediately after the step is tried. If it is truly is a problem with the water pump or a larger item, steps 1-3 will not work at the dealer before you pick it up the first time, and will be corrected.

GM has to draw the line in the sand somewhere with warranties, the 3/36 bumper to bumper is solid. The 5/100 covers most of the big items.

Back to my first point, unless the car ACTUALLY overheated, this will not be a super expensive fix.

• mick15 and Lagaffe like this

#5 OFFLINE   Jstarr

Jstarr

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevy Cruze

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

There is no water or smoke coming from under my hood, I did purchase my vehicle used and I'm at about 68000 miles the dealership informed me the only warranty I had was the power train warranty, I'm unsure of 5yr/100k warranty

#6 OFFLINE   captainjiffy

captainjiffy

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

Correct, the 5 yr /  100,000 warranty is the power training warranty.

As with my last post. Step 1 and 3 are not covered by the 5yr/100,000 warranty, steps 2 and 4 are.

The most Step 1 will cost is $87, that is the set charge from Chevrolet. If your dealer trys to charge you an evaluation fee, I recommend contacting Chevrolet.

Your vehicle is still under warranty (the 5/100), and the error right now is a "check engine". I do believe the engine is part of the power train, maybe you should mention this point to the dealer :-)

There should not be a evaluation fee, but you may and will be responsible for anything not covered under the warranty (computer reprogram or any sensors).

Here is a link to the Chevrolet warranty page. I suggest you offer the link to your dealer for there review, before they start making you pay anything.

http://www.chevrolet...s/warranty.html

• mick15 and Lagaffe like this

#7 OFFLINE   Lgalloway90

Lgalloway90

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Cruze

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

I am now having an issue with my 2012 Chevy Cruze. Today as I was driving it began to elevate towards hot and eventually ran hot. Once I picked up speed trying to get home on the eway it then went back to normal temp gauge. I am taking it to Chevy in the morning. Just wondering what should I prepare myself for

#8 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:36 PM

I am now having an issue with my 2012 Chevy Cruze. Today as I was driving it began to elevate towards hot and eventually ran hot. Once I picked up speed trying to get home on the eway it then went back to normal temp gauge. I am taking it to Chevy in the morning. Just wondering what should I prepare myself for

Very sorry for this! We will be in the look-out for your updates tomorrow from the dealership. If you need any additional assistance with anything, please let us know in a private message. We would be happy to look into this further for you, and contact the dealership on your behalf. 

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

~Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#9 OFFLINE   Chevy2011

Chevy2011

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet
  • Interests:Chevy Cruze problems

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze I've only had for About 16 months and it is doing the same thing. I can see where it was spitting fluid and had it towed to the dealership I have asked several times weather or not something like this would be covered under powertrain and or certified pre-owned warranty as my bumper to bumper has expired and Cannot get a definitive answer. The car only has 47590 miles and I've only put approx 20,000..kinda over the car already
  • mick15 likes this

#10 OFFLINE   GetJack3d

GetJack3d

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Cruze
  • Interests:Not being at the dealership

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:31 PM

I have the same issue that so many other people have. I have a 2012 Cruze and when I turn the A/C on the fan runs really high for about 10 seconds, will shut off for about 20 seconds, and then turn back on again for 10 seconds. The cycle continuously runs.

I brought my car to the dealership and they aren't 100% sure what the issue is....but want to charge me $600 to replace the entire fan! I found that several other people have had this fixed under the powertrain warranty.....

Chevy please offer some advice. I called your customer service number...talked to 5 different people (had to keep asking for a supervisor) just to have the guy hang up on me after an hour.

#11 OFFLINE   Ronnie Mason

Ronnie Mason

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Cruze's Year:2011
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze
  • Interests:motorcycles and race cars

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

I'm having the same issue on my 2011 1.8M.  The temp will rise and I'll get the message that a/c was turned off due to high engine temperature (which I find odd because it's freaking -5°F this morning...ugh)  As my rpm's go up it goes off and the temp guage goes back to normal.  Also while this is happening the heat gets cold until the rpm's go up.  If I'm at idle even in a parking lot for a half hour, the air coming from the heater is ice cold.  It doesn't warm up until I start to drive, then gets cold when I'm sitting at red lights.  I'm wondering if my water pump is failing, but I've never heard of anything like this happening before.  I'm also losing coolant over time, but no idea where I'm losing it from and there is none in the oil.  I've already replaced the thermostat, housing, and temperature sensors myself with dealer parts.  I'm at a loss here.

Ron

#12 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Current Vehicle:opel
  • Interests:cars

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:42 AM

I am not familiar with the beforementioned fault but in principle; if the engine is cooling too much when idling the thermostat is open letting the coolant flow through the radiator, hence cooling the engine too much. 

Any fault codes? it does sound like the thermostat is stuck open.

this youtube clip may help in the repair: 

• mick15 likes this

#13 OFFLINE   Kristine

Kristine

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • My Cruze's Year:2014
  • Interests:Cruze

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

I'm having the same issue on my 2011 1.8M.  The temp will rise and I'll get the message that a/c was turned off due to high engine temperature (which I find odd because it's freaking -5°F this morning...ugh)  As my rpm's go up it goes off and the temp guage goes back to normal.  Also while this is happening the heat gets cold until the rpm's go up.  If I'm at idle even in a parking lot for a half hour, the air coming from the heater is ice cold.  It doesn't warm up until I start to drive, then gets cold when I'm sitting at red lights.  I'm wondering if my water pump is failing, but I've never heard of anything like this happening before.  I'm also losing coolant over time, but no idea where I'm losing it from and there is none in the oil.  I've already replaced the thermostat, housing, and temperature sensors myself with dealer parts.  I'm at a loss here.

Ron

#14 OFFLINE   Kristine

Kristine

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Cruze

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:54 PM

I am having the same issues with my 2014.

#15 OFFLINE   ebarnee10

ebarnee10

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze Manual
  • Interests:getting my car fixed

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

I have a 2014 Manual with about 37,200 miles. About a week ago my check engine light came on.  I checked my fluids and added coolant because it was low.  The light went off and it was good for about a week.  The light just came back on a few days ago, everything was working fine, the engine temp was normal, all the fluids are good.  I took it to my parents personal mechanic and he said it was the 'engine coolant thermostat heater control circuit'.  The dealership is saying that this won't be covered and is just giving us the run-around with everything. Is this something that could be a 'false reading' by the cars computer system? Is this something that other people are having issues with? I haven't noticed the AC turning off because I normally don't use it. Help Please!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·