Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Engine Suddenly Stops

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bombobandit

bombobandit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:2012 1.8L Chevy Cruze LS

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

Could someone help me out please?  Recently my 2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS Standard Transmission has had it's engine turn off on me while the car has been in motion!  I find this very unnerving and I haven't heard anything like it.  I have taken the car to the dealership believing that I'd have it fixed and with confidence I drove away from the dealer only to return minutes later because it shut off on me again!  The dealership hasn't heard anything of this nature either.  The dealer cleaned the exhaust system, or whatever you call it, because of an excess of carbon build up, and updated the software too.

Let me give you an example of what exactly happens.  I would be driving and while coasting or whatever, the engine without any warning lights or anything would just turn off.  Luckily I have been in my right mind in a number of occasions and managed to take the car out of gear and then just restart the engine and go along my merry way.  

Does anyone have any suggestions because I am at a stand still, and have really had a better than average experience owning this car, but this is getting ridiculous because the frequency of engine shut offs has increased significantly.  I am seriously turned off of General Motors products as I write this, except for their trucks, and have been told on numerous occasions that North American cars in general are just awful.  I want to prove these naysayers wrong but I guess this won't happen anytime soon!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

Take it to another dealer, is my first thought.

And, whether you take it to another dealer or not, make an appointment to take the Service Manager or Senior Technician for a drive and keep driving until it happens.

Don't waste your time dropping it off and telling them what happens, if it's something caused by the way you drive they will never duplicate it.

Even if it it isn't caused by the way you drive, unless you show it to them they won't try hard to fix it.

Edited by grs1961, 27 September 2014 - 07:46 PM.

168124.png

#3 OFFLINE   bombobandit

bombobandit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:29 PM

It would be a great idea to take anyone with me on a test drive and have them drive along with me.  Sadly when this sudden engine stop does happen, it doesn't happen at every drive.  Let me give you an example:  I drove down to Florida with no problem, from Atlanta.  Then, on the trip North, going about 65mph, the engine shuts down in heavy traffic.  Now, this engine shut down has increased in frequency in the past week.  It has happened three times since this past Monday, while maybe all of 5 times in the past 20 months.  The dealer has given me a sensor that plugs into the computer system, and I will drive with it so that it records any events that will happen.  I personally think that it is the throttle switch, but what more can I say?

I am surprised that nobody else has had such an issue.  I have learned to drive Manual and have been driving since I was 14, nearly 30 years!  (I feel old).  I don't know what more to add but if anyone has any suggestions or insight I would be grateful.  

#4 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Region:Europe
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze 2.0LT 150ps
  • Interests:cars and family

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

As it is intermittent it could be a faulty engine management system or sensor. A good tech should be able to sort it out for you.

Mick 15

#5 OFFLINE   bombobandit

bombobandit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:14 PM

... an update.

About 3 weeks ago I took it to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and they ended up cleaning the induction and throttle body.  The dealership believed that because the throttle body was so dirty that this was the cause of the engine stalling and I had full confidence that the problem was resolved.  After driving maybe an 1/8 to a 1/4 mile away the engine stalled yet again and I returned to the dealer and they gave me a monitor that plugs into the car's computer and whenever it would stall again, I'd push the record button.  After driving maybe 14 to 18 days with the monitor I finally had an incident and I recorded the incident.  I returned the monitor to the dealership and after some 3 days I drove up to the dealer and asked if they found anything and they said they didn't!  Today the car stalled on me yet again, in traffic, and I am fed up now.  I am well aware it is not driver error and GM is fully aware of the situation because research has shown many other GM vehicles with similar problems.  If there is anyone else out there that can give insight as to what to do feel free to say something, please.

• mick15 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

... an update.

About 3 weeks ago I took it to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and they ended up cleaning the induction and throttle body.  The dealership believed that because the throttle body was so dirty that this was the cause of the engine stalling and I had full confidence that the problem was resolved.  After driving maybe an 1/8 to a 1/4 mile away the engine stalled yet again and I returned to the dealer and they gave me a monitor that plugs into the car's computer and whenever it would stall again, I'd push the record button.  After driving maybe 14 to 18 days with the monitor I finally had an incident and I recorded the incident.  I returned the monitor to the dealership and after some 3 days I drove up to the dealer and asked if they found anything and they said they didn't!  Today the car stalled on me yet again, in traffic, and I am fed up now.  I am well aware it is not driver error and GM is fully aware of the situation because research has shown many other GM vehicles with similar problems.  If there is anyone else out there that can give insight as to what to do feel free to say something, please.

Hey bomboband

I'm really sorry to hear about the concerns you're having. Frequent visits to the dealership can get frustrating quickly and I can possibly look into the issues you're having with your car stalling. Can you please send me your VIN, current mileage, contact info and the dealership you're working with via private message? I hope to hear back from you soon. I'll keep an eye out for your message. 

Anisha T (assisting Patsy)

Chevrolet Customer Care

~Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#7 OFFLINE   fbodyman01

fbodyman01

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain Region
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Chevrolet Cruze
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:54 AM

Could it be that your ignition recall hasn't been performed yet? I understand the faulty ignition switches are causing a stall. Just my two cents.
  • mick15 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   bombobandit

bombobandit

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hey Anisha T (assisting Patsy) Chevrolet Customer Care, I don't know how to do a 'private message', please instruct me on how to do this.

As for the ignition switch, this too was ruled out because my car is not part of the recall!  I am at a loss and I do believe that my car is just something unusual that cannot be solved, I do strongly believe this.  I'm working with GM Corporate right now to rectify the problem.

#9 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hey there bombobandit,

In order to send us a private message you'll need to drill down on our name and it will take you to our profile page. On that page you can select to send us a message. If you experience trouble, feel free to send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com in regard to your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A. (Assisting)

Chevrolet Customer Care

~Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#10 OFFLINE   ajv

ajv

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Cruze LS 2011

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:59 AM

After googling and digging I found this forum. I have same problem with my Cruze 1,6 LS. At the beginning, the engine did not want to start.No rule or logic for this.After that,two times happened to stop during driving.I had some service on it and the problem disappear. After few months,I had again the same problem.I even cannot sell this car...

I will try to start from simple and check all connectors,wires,etc.

I found also in manual that can be for hard start a difference of values between the air and cooling water temperature sensors,but no explanation for the engine's stop during driving.

I will appreciate if somebody can give me a clue.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Cover

Stuart Cover

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

I have a problem with the cruze diesel intermittently stopping, I read another post by bombobandit with the same problem, unfortunately there was no resolution. Had the dealer and 2 workshops look at it, my wife won't drive it, it stopped at the lights for half an hour then started again. It's never had a problem before, but this one thing has stuffed it.

#12 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:03 AM

Could be anything.

Without details such as:

Which country and model Cruze?  Because the diesels are not the same the whole world over!  (For that matter, neither are the sparkers.)

Which engine?

Did the dealer or workshops suggest anything?

Do the dealer and workshops know anything about small euro-type turbo diesels?  (I suspect not.)

If it's a US-built Cruze, has it had the negative battery cable fix applied?  (Could also apply in civilised countries.)

Have you had the fuel checked for crud?

Do you live in a region where it is possible that the fuel had gelled?

all I can suggest is that a rozzer pointed a zapper at it.

• mick15 likes this

168124.png

#13 OFFLINE   basant

basant

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • My Cruze's Year:2009
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze
  • Interests:Travelling

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:27 AM

... an update.

Hi Bombobandit,
Have you found the cause of your cruze problem?
Please share some information so I can provide some input to technician.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·