Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

GM letter on "engine coolant leak from water pump"

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   martinsxx

martinsxx

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:sports

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:58 PM

I received a leter from Chevrolet that sounds like a recall notice but says not to take your vehicle for service unless you have the coolant leak described in the letter. The letter says:

This letter is intended to make you aware that your 2011 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicle equipped with a 1.4L engine may have an engine coolant leak from the water pump. The pump may leak from the weep reservoir or from the water pump shaft seal, leading to a drip of coolant onto the engine or onto the ground. Over time, the loss of coolant will reduce cooling performance and eventually could lead to engine overheating. If this condition is not corrected, the "Service Engine" indicator light may come on, an "Engine Hot, AC Off" message may appear, a chime may sound, and the engine power may be reduced.

It then says if you believe your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a Chevrolet dealer.

This is a very confusing letter as unless you have the indicator light and messages, how would you know if you have this problem? Anyone have this problem or know about the condition?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:33 AM

If you are losing coolant, you take it to the dealer, I don't see how this can be considered confusing.

If you do not know how tell by looking under the hood and checking the coolant level, either read your Owner's Handbook (I don't know if the US version has instructions on how to do it) or Google for an instructional video.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but even my eighty-three year-old mother knows how to check the coolant level in her car!

• mick15 likes this

168124.png

#3 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Region:Europe
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze 2.0LT 150ps
  • Interests:cars and family

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

Leaks of any kind should always be checked out and fixed asp.

Mick 15

#4 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:17 PM

We’d be happy to look into this for you, martinsxx. Feel free to send us a PM with your VIN if our help is needed. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.

Chevrolet Customer Care

~Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#5 OFFLINE   martinsxx

martinsxx

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

If you are losing coolant, you take it to the dealer, I don't see how this can be considered confusing.

If you do not know how tell by looking under the hood and checking the coolant level, either read your Owner's Handbook (I don't know if the US version has instructions on how to do it) or Google for an instructional video.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but even my eighty-three year-old mother knows how to check the coolant level in her car!

Very dooshy response from you. Did you post this from the basement of your 83 year old mother?

• Victor Ramirez and angleiron66 like this

#6 OFFLINE   martinsxx

martinsxx

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

I'm sorry I posted this topic which I thought would be of interest to Cruze owners. Instead I get responses from jerks who add nothing to the conversation. Somebody's 83 year old mother can look at a coolant recovery tank but that's not what I was asking.

#7 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:31 AM

The letter seems quite understandable to me - if you are losing coolant, take it to the dealer.

168124.png

#8 OFFLINE   spidermonkey

spidermonkey

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 cruze

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

I received this letter about 3 weeks ago, read it, checked my coolant (was just fine), then set the letter aside and pretty much forgot about it.  Then tonight, I was driving the interstate when the "Engine Hot, AC off" light came on with the chime sounding.  I was in an HOV lane with jersey walls on both sides and construction--so I did not stop right away.  I drove to the nearest exit (about 3 miles) and headed for a safe place to pull over (a shopping mall), parked, turned the engine off, and popped the hood.  The coolant in my reservoir was bubbling wildly.  I let it cool down about 30 minutes and bought some antifreeze and added a gallon of mix.  Figuring I would try to drive it home (another 30 minutes), I got about 3 miles and the engine began to lose power and a burnt smell (probably spilt anti-freeze).  To be prudent, I decided to drop it off at a service station to be checked out tomorrow and then got a ride home.  When I got home I remembered the *LETTER*.  The letter pretty much describes what happened to me, though it happened quickly, out of the blue.  So...Martinsxx's question was not so dumb after all as you might not know you have this condition because it can happen quite suddenly like it did for me.  I did not have a coolant leak problem that was detectable just 3 weeks before when I checked the coolant level...so this can happen quite suddenly, not necessarily slowly over time as the letter kinda suggests.  Tomorrow I am going to take the vehicle to the dealer with the letter and get the repair done by the dealer.  I hope that this campaign repair goes smoothly though obviously will require a bit of my time & effort as the nearest dealer is 20 miles away.

Check your coolant to see if you have a leak, but then be prepared for the possibility of a sudden problem.

• mick15 and Seabird99 like this

#9 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Current Vehicle:MY12 2.0VCDI 163hp Auto

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:33 PM

Having a coolant leak can happen to anyone who drives a car, a broken hose, some seal, radiator puncture ... so many things can develop a leak. Some of them cause a major leak, and possibly the lost of all (or almost all) coolant fluid.

What spidermonkey said can happen from one moment to the other, it already happened to me in the past ... and I'm sorry but  I don't foresee a good outcome from that "burnt smell" ... I guess your mechanic will let you know.

A very different problem is a gradually lost in coolant, something that might happen over a long period of time, and it seems to me that this is the case reported by GM with such warning letter, and c'mon guys ... it is too difficult to spot a water pool beneath your engine ? ... of if you open your hood, is it too difficult to check the water lever? ... even if you don't know how to do it, you can check your manual, its explained with pictures and everything.

• mick15 likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Kicky

Kicky

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Chevy Cruze 1.4T 2014

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:19 AM

I bought a cruze 1.4T LS with 20k km on it. I then for no reason to check the coolent level and it was basically empty. Funny thing was that my thermo gauge never gave me a suspicion of possible over heating. I then filled the coolant and checked it again the next time I fueled it up again. Again my coolant level was very low, so I took it to the dealer and they replaced the radiater cap an the thermometer. It seems that its worked at the next fueling, with a perfectly good level coolant.
  • Fishingfool likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Lee21

Lee21

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

I received this letter also and did not have any coolant leak at anytime that I checked.  So I did as the letter stated and just monitored it.  Well guess what happened tonight…just out of the blue… I got the “Engine hot AC off” message.”  At first it went away but the car appeared to be running loudly.  Since I was near home (after leaving work) I decided to cancel my plans and come home.  I pulled my recall letter then called my local dealership.  It was 6:55 PM.  They tell me they will not help me as that part of the store closed at 6 PM…gee I bet if I wanted to buy another new car they would have been MORE than happy to help me!!

So then I called the customer owner center. I began by nicely explaining my issue. The representative immediately began to tell me there was nothing he could do to assist me.  I cut him off and said “but this is MY issue.  I DID what this letter said…and I waited to not have this recall looked at and NOW I can’t go where I need to go to spend Christmas with my family tonight or leave for out of state in the morning”!  And his response…”oh well there is nothing I can do and you will just need to wait to see if the dealership could help in the morning.  This is not acceptable customer service at all for a car I bought brand new and have had less than two years!

So my advice to everyone…is to make a copy of this letter to keep in your glove box…as you never know when you will need it..  I hope no one else has this issue during a holiday or big family event as Chevy doesn’t care if you can’t visit your family on Christmas or probably any holiday!

• mick15 and WheresBill like this

#12 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:08 PM

I bought a cruze 1.4T LS with 20k km on it. I then for no reason to check the coolent level and it was basically empty. Funny thing was that my thermo gauge never gave me a suspicion of possible over heating. I then filled the coolant and checked it again the next time I fueled it up again. Again my coolant level was very low, so I took it to the dealer and they replaced the radiater cap an the thermometer. It seems that its worked at the next fueling, with a perfectly good level coolant.

Hi Kicky,

If you need any additional assistance, we would be happy to direct your information to the right people in your location to look into this further for you. Please feel free to send a private message along with your VIN, current kms, contact information and the dealership you work with in Johannesburg. Looking forward to your response. 

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

~Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#13 OFFLINE   WheresBill

WheresBill

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2011

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

I also received this letter, and brought my car into the dealership to get it fixed.  I checked my coolant after I noticed I had a leak.  I check a week later and I lost about 3 inches of coolant in my reservoir.  I originally brought my car in for this letter, but I got a call from the dealership saying the water pump is not the problem which caused my coolant leak.  My ground wire got corroded by salt or something along those lines, which then the electricity found the least resistant to be grounded.  The corroded ground wire was the cause of all my hoses to have a leak and need to replaced, them because the electricity was looking for the fastest and easiest path to be ground.  I DID NOT get a Service Engine light come on or Engine hot Ac off message.  I'm dealing with this right now, I will keep you updated on what I find out.   

• mick15 and grs1961 like this

#14 OFFLINE   connorsel

connorsel

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:chevy cruze LTZ

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

I received a leter from Chevrolet that sounds like a recall notice but says not to take your vehicle for service unless you have the coolant leak described in the letter. The letter says:

This letter is intended to make you aware that your 2011 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicle equipped with a 1.4L engine may have an engine coolant leak from the water pump. The pump may leak from the weep reservoir or from the water pump shaft seal, leading to a drip of coolant onto the engine or onto the ground. Over time, the loss of coolant will reduce cooling performance and eventually could lead to engine overheating. If this condition is not corrected, the "Service Engine" indicator light may come on, an "Engine Hot, AC Off" message may appear, a chime may sound, and the engine power may be reduced.

It then says if you believe your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a Chevrolet dealer.

This is a very confusing letter as unless you have the indicator light and messages, how would you know if you have this problem? Anyone have this problem or know about the condition?

Hi,

I am a cruze owner. I was driving on December 27th when my car chimed and showed me the "Engine Hot AC Off" indicator. I also noticed my thermostat jump over the halfway mark to nearly hot. When I checked the coolant reservoir level, their was next to no coolant in their. 

When i went to the dealership, they notified me that their was a recall (of which I never received) so i booked my car in to get fixed. The service guy said it would take a couple hours but within 30 mins I got my car back. The service guy said nothing was wrong with my car. They did a "test" and their was no leak found. I explained to him again what happened to me right after Christmas and he just repeated that their was nothing wrong with my car. I told him I have been reading the forums on the internet that suggest otherwise and he replied "well mam, we all can read things online, that doesn't mean they are true". Clearly I understand that but how can I go from a  full reservoir of coolant to none at all. just like that? 

And no offense to the service guy but, clearl if more and more people are writing about the same issue, then I cant be crazy. 

So I now have the invoice. He said nothing was wrong, so nothing was fixed and that my coolant levels were fine (obviously they are fine, I had to add coolant!!)

Any advice on what I should do now?? 

• mick15 likes this

#15 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

My advice is too keep an eye on your coolant level ie: daily and if it looks as if it is going down take it back to the dealership or another garage.

Mick 15

#16 OFFLINE   mycariskillingme22

mycariskillingme22

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:chevrolet cruze 2011
  • Interests:Chevrolet cruze coolant etc.

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

Well I've had my coolant refilled so many times I can't even count. GM dealership had my car this last time for 16 days. The day I got my car back the heater didn't work. The coolant has been leaking in my car from the day I brought it. My car has been in the shop for every recall and a list of other issues. GM hasn't helped at all.

#17 OFFLINE   Billies2011cruzeltz

Billies2011cruzeltz

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2011 chevy cruze ltz
  • Interests:Coolaint issues

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:50 PM

I've had same issue, I didn't get a letter, I posted my issue in a other area of the forum, I've had coolaint leak issues that I've fixed numerous times, thermostat a few times, water pump ect.. dealership even tells me I have a coolaint leak as if they didn't just fix it, I've caught them lying about fixing a recall or shall I say didn't say anything and left me to assume they fixed it and come to find out they didn't, I just got oil change last week and today the high engine temp came on, ac turn off, I went and bought an 88 dollar thermostat again and now my car won't even start, people say I may have a blown motor, this coolaint leak has been an issue since I got the car, I wanted a DEPENDABLE car because I'm a home health nurse in a rural area and didn't want to be stranded like today! My car spent the last 3 months of 2012 in the shop for motor issues this car is really causing me grief, I was really ripped off, they knew I was a first time car buyer and knew nothing of how it all works somehow the loan came out to be 42000, wow, don't know how, but they got me good and since I'm a home health nurse my mileage puts me upside-down on my loan, thanks chevy for my first time buying a car to be awful, wasn't even the color of car I wanted, they pointed out what I could get and that was it, no options what so ever.

#18 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:18 PM

I'm sorry but your option was not to buy.

Mick 15

#19 OFFLINE   Billies2011cruzeltz

Billies2011cruzeltz

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

I'm sorry but your option was not to buy.

#20 OFFLINE   Billies2011cruzeltz

Billies2011cruzeltz

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

Oh trust me if I knew all this would happen I wouldn't have! Found out blown head gasket gonna be 1300 to fix. Chevys always had a good rep in my family, but it was older models, this cruze has got me mixed, should've got a nissan
  • mick15 likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·