Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

StabiliTrak & Radio Defects

StabiliTrak TCS Radio 2013 Eco Need Help

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rueter

Rueter

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Chevy Cruze
  • Interests:Marketing/advertising, music, automotive work.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

I bought this 2013 Cruze Eco in late October of 2014 with only 19,000 miles on it and now after just turning over 22K, it looks like our Cruze is part of this StabiliTrak plague that GM has started. Lately, our touch screen radio has been cutting out and turning itself off and has been happening more frequently. I’ve only experienced this one time (my wife is the primary driver) when backing it in at home, but then this morning on my way in to work, it happened seven times. One of which was noticeably longer than the other times and I saw the StabiliTrak message flash quickly but it went away and the radio turned back on. I took multiple videos of the occurance this morning for proof to the dealership if they cannot replicate the problem.

Last night, my wife called me on her way into work to tell me that the radio wasn’t turning on at all and then a message came up on the DIC either stating “service traction control” or "service StabiliTrak" (I can't recall which one she said) and the brake light and the ABS light were on and flashing. I tried researching this last night, but all I could find were a bunch of people complaining about experiencing similar problems, but not much on what actually causes it or any troubleshooting options. Is this occuring because of something interrupting the signal to the ECM? From what I read, it seems that when this message appears, all ABS and traction control systems are disabled, so that doesn’t make me very happy when my wife is the primary driver and it’s the middle of winter in the midwest.

We’re still under the GM warranty as well as the one from the dealership, so I’m hoping this will be covered for the most part at least. I just want to know as much about this as I can before calling them to schedule servicing for this weekend. I’ve seen that many people’s dealerships say they couldn’t replicate the problem and basically shrug their shoulders, so I’m certainly going to get copies of every service appointments we have to make. There’s no reason we should be having so many problems with a new car. I work for an aftermarket supplier of certified GM parts for all model year Corvettes and have been well familiar with GM and especially Chevrolet, so I'm hoping that this experience can be cleared up without soiling each of those names for me.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. From checking this forum before joining and making this post, I can see many other people are having issues with both of these problems and I'm one of the lucky ones who get to deal with both at the same time.

Thanks.

Cruze.jpg CruzeandJeep.jpg

• mick15 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Rueter

Rueter

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

Upon further reading, this sounds like it will lead to MUCH more serious problems involving loss of power steering among many other things. If anybody knows any more on this topic, please let me know. I know now that my wife will be driving my Jeep until this gets addressed.

#3 OFFLINE   Rueter

Rueter

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

Well, after talking with Paul Koerner a bit today, I feel better about my coverage at least. It looks like some people have had a little bit of luck with fixing this issue by having the battery cables replaced. I will have my dealership flash and reflash both the ECM and BCM, something isn't getting the right signal somewhere in the communication of relays.

For the many other people with this problem, I'm betting that there is a faulty ground that is the source of this issue. If the the ground is faulty, the current tries to cycle back there but isn't connecting and who knows where that current ends up. If that isn't the issue, having the ECM and BCM flashed and reflashed by your dealership may help. With newer cars with low miles, they're still learning the ropes and the computers have to be broken in. So, if it starts getting bad readings from something like a faulty ground, the computer will continue to think that is normal until the system is flashed.

That is my best bet after talking with a veteran world class GM sertified technician. So thank you to the overwhelming amount of input from everyone on this forum. :waiting: I hope this thread of talking to myself is able to help someone else having this issue somehow.

Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:52 PM
To: Nick Rueter
Subject: RE: FW: GM StabiliTrak

Nick,

To the Cruze in question.

It is GM certified used car to mileage 48022 or 12/12/2017.

That means that if your mileage is under that, you are covered for almost everything, including diagnosis and repair of issues like this.  There are a few things not, but it is VERY comprehensive.

#2 There are 3 special policy coverage items on this vehicle.  Rack and pinion, water pump and negative battery cable are all covered to at least 120,000 and 2023

#3  Normally, these systems are reliable, however, I have seen some steering wheel position sensor issues and ABS  reluctor wheels create issues.  Because it says service traction control, I am more looking at an ABS sensor, reluctor or hub bearing.

Accurate diagnostic trouble codes will tell us much more, but since you are under the 48022 mileage, you most likely will be covered for diagnosis and repair.

FYI: REQUEST ALL DTC AND ESTIMATE INFORMATION PRIOR TO REPAIR TO MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION.

They may ask you for one hours diagnosis authorization but that is not uncommon until they KNOW it is covered by GM, then you dont pay a thing if it is a covered item.

Professionally, Paul Koerner

• mick15 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:33 PM

Hello Rueter,

We are truly sorry to hear you're having these types of experiences with your vehicle.  GM knows the safety of your family is very important to you.  It's paramount to us as well.  I'm glad to see you were able to receive some good information regarding your coverage.  Please keep us informed on how this matter progresses.  If you have any concerns, feel free to reach out to us for assistance.

Marlea W.

Chevrolet Customer Care

~Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#5 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:38 AM

The battery ground problem seems to be the root cause of all these problems for the folk who purchase Lordstown-built Cruzen.

• mick15 and Rueter like this

168124.png

#6 OFFLINE   Rueter

Rueter

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

The battery ground problem seems to be the root cause of all these problems for the folk who purchase Lordstown-built Cruzen.

I'm hoping this will fix this issue, but I'm skeptical. A number of others who had the cables replaced say they experienced the problem again further down the line. Sounds like it's a temporary fix more than a solution. I want to be sure my dealership not only replaces the cables, but clean the ground as well.

After losing power steering on my way to work this morning just after the infotainment center cut out, I'm ready to just look at trading it in rather than dealing with the onslaught of electrical issues bound to come. I got this car as a daily driver for my wife after we had other issues with older vehicles because I trusted GM and knew it would be a dependable vehicle. Apparently not.

• mick15 and emersons082311 like this

#7 OFFLINE   Rueter

Rueter

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

Well, three hours after being told it would take roughly an hour and a half to run the tests, my dealership told me the alternator is going out and that may be the cause. I guess I'm not familiar enough with newer vehicle technology, but I can't think of any scenarios where a weak alternator could possibily cause loss of power steering among the issues with the StabiliTrak. Yes, I understand it has an electric power steering pump, but other systems wouldn't function without proper power either and there's no way GM could legally produce a vehicle that would lose power steering capabilities due to a different system losing power. The alternator simply maintains vehicle voltage and I saw absolutely no loss in voltage or any other signs of a weak alternator. My '96 Jeep Cherokee is on its third alternator in the three years I've owned it, so I'd like to think I know the typical trouble signs of a failing alternator.

Either way, I left with a loaner and was told it'd take a couple days to get the new alternator. So, if the problems continue (which I'm sure they will) I guess I'll be heading back to the dealership. They said the alternator was failing, not completely dead. If it were dead and I was running solely off of the battery for a few days, I could understand the problems with the infotainment center powering off and on, but that would be a constant occurance since it wouldn't have enough voltage to draw off of and wouldn't be something that occurs every other day under different circumstances. Your move GM.

Edited by Rueter, 20 January 2015 - 03:07 PM.

• mick15 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Keeton22

Keeton22

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy cruze
  • Interests:Chevy cruze issues

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:19 AM

Service stabilitrak

#9 OFFLINE   Keeton22

Keeton22

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy cruze
  • Interests:Chevy cruze issues

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

Does any one know if there is a recall on the stabilitrak. I've only had my 2012 Cruze for a month and the service stabilitrak came on while I was on 75 and it made me vear into a ditch. The car is OK but what really pissed me off was my daughters were in the car. The car shouldn't be having problems where power steering goes out. What happened to old school car building where something broke you could feel it or tell what it was by how it acted. Not randomly all lights and radio and steering going out while driving in a ditch at 65.
  • jazminesuzanne likes this

#10 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:55 AM

Have you had the negative battery cable replaced?

Anything with the US-built Cruze that is even vaguely to to with the electrics or electronics should have that applied as an immediate first-try fix.

• mick15 likes this

168124.png

#11 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

Does any one know if there is a recall on the stabilitrak. I've only had my 2012 Cruze for a month and the service stabilitrak came on while I was on 75 and it made me vear into a ditch. The car is OK but what really pissed me off was my daughters were in the car. The car shouldn't be having problems where power steering goes out. What happened to old school car building where something broke you could feel it or tell what it was by how it acted. Not randomly all lights and radio and steering going out while driving in a ditch at 65.

Hi Keeton22, 

Very sorry for the unexpected concerns with your Cruze, and we would be more than happy to look into this more for you. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. 

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

• Rostaiee likes this

~Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

#12 OFFLINE   Amanda Michelle Johnson

Amanda Michelle Johnson

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:32 PM

Today coming back from the grocery store my radio cut out three times and my backup screen went black. Something flashed and then quickly went away on my odometer screen. I got the first part it said service and the last part of the word was trak so I'm assuming it was saying, service stabiltrak. Upon reading these other comments I see I'm not the only one with this problem and it is a problem that can lead to loosing power steering. Can someone please tell me if there are any recalls or anything as far as the stabiltrak is concerned?

Thanks, Amanda

P.S. I just got this car, my 2014 Chevy Cruze, on March 30th 2015.

• mick15 likes this

#13 OFFLINE   Skyler Turnbull

Skyler Turnbull

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • My Cruze's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 chevy cruze
  • Interests:cruze issues

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:00 AM

My radio has been constantly turning itself off and the "Service Stabilitrak" message comes up occasionaly.  But more recently It has caused my power steering to just stop working.  Today was by far the most dangerous.  As i was accelerating to merge onto a highway at about 60 mph the radio shut off and i lost all steering for close to 3 seconds.  This seems to be a commonly arising issue that needs to be dealt with before it starts causing deaths.  What is being done to solve this issue??

• mick15 and angleiron66 like this

#14 OFFLINE   mick15

mick15

Cruze Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Region:Europe
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze 2.0LT 150ps
  • Interests:cars and family

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

Nothing :shrug: going by the postings on this forum.

Mick 15

#15 OFFLINE   vinod_vb

vinod_vb

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • My Cruze's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze
  • Interests:Drive

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

I am having the same problem after the recall. Radio has been constantly turning itself off and the "Service Stabilitrak" message comes up occasionally. have this been fixed or root cause identified? 
  • mick15 likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Lisa Todd

Lisa Todd

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cruze LT
  • Interests:Riding my harley, driving

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:59 AM

I have had this issue several times now and the dealership keeps telling me there were "old codes" stored in the computer and they had to reset them. Each time, the dealership had the car, they put excessive miles on my car to make it "recreate" the issue, the last time the service manager put 219 miles on my car (he asked if he could drive it home over the weekend, while hooked to the computer to catch the issue), he never told me he was driving it this far and it took me over my extended warranty.

The car is now cycling through the issues again (radio goes off and then service stabiltrack comes on), I need to know how to have this fixed and since this seems to be an ongoing issue, I want to know if the dealership is covering the cost of this issue, since I am now over my warranty and feel the dealership owes me 219 miles!!

• mick15 likes this

#17 OFFLINE   RyanBuckler

RyanBuckler

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cruze 2lt
  • Interests:A working vehicle.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

I am a GM employee here in TN. I am not having the radio issues but my 2013 2LT Cruze has given me the service StabiliTrak message a couple times now. And now my battery light is on. My voltage seems pretty average at 14.3v though so Im not sure why the light is on. If someone could give me an idea of whats going on that would be great.

#18 OFFLINE   Lrenee Futurems

Lrenee Futurems

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Cruze's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:yes
  • Interests:StabiliTrak & Radio Defects

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:00 PM

Greetings all, 

I've been having issues with my 2014 Chevrolet Cruze.

1)  4 Weeks ago the radio decided it would reboot itself at least 4 times a day. 

2) Oct 30, 2015 my Cruze locked the doors while we were inside. the handle, the key chain nor the button in the car would unlock the car. 

I placed my key back into the ignition and the car would not turn over or power on. for approximately 5 minutes the key was actually locked into the ignition. then the radio blinked on and the key allowed me to turn the car on and get us out of there.   

I took the car to 19616 Northwest Frwy Houston, TX 77065 and explained to them the issues the the car I had purchased from THEM-less than 6 months ago. They suggested that I trade it in! and finance for another car!!!! instead of look over the car or fix it. 

3) Today at 1:52 PM "Stabilit..." flashed across the screen of my vehicle and the the steering wheel jerked and spun. I had to slam on the breaks to keep from going into oncoming traffic. I have been making calls since. NO one seems to be able to help me. I am afraid to drive this car with my young children. who else can I call. 

Please help. 

• mick15 likes this

#19 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:07 AM

Have you had the negative battery cable fix applied to the vehicle?

168124.png

#20 OFFLINE   Techguydoug

Techguydoug

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • My Cruze's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:Harley, Dodge and Plymouth
  • Interests:Work.

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

Greetings from NC.

My name is Doug and I'm a mechanic at a small shop here in Raleigh.  I've got a friend who has a 2013 cruze LTZ that shares some of the issues you all seem to be facing.  His current issues include the touch-screen blanking out and just recently the stabilitrak warning light has come on.  As of yet, I have not had a chance to even plug in to the car because the radio blanking out has been super-intermittent and the stabilitrack light just came on tonight for the first time which is what brought me searching on the internet tonight.

Let me start out by saying I don't know the root cause of any of your problems.  However, I do have some information that may at least help you understand what may be going on with your vehicles.  Also, I will probably be diving in to my friend's Cruze in the next week or so since he's out of basic warranty.  I can post my findings when they become available.

When ANY warning light comes on in the instrument cluster this will indicate that the system has ran a test, it's failed the test and the module is sending out a message to illuminate the necessary warning indicator.  These systems include the Powertrain Control Module which will turn on the Check Engine Light, the Airbag Control Module turns on the SRS or Airbag light, the ABS/Traction Control Module will turn on the ABS, T/C or Stabilitrak light and so on.  Each module will have it's own requirements for when it's ok to turn the lights back off.  ABS, Airbag, and a few other modules typically will turn the light off the very first time it runs a test and passes.  The check engine light can be turned off immediately after a passing result or there may be a need for multiple passes to turn off the light after a failure.  In either case there will always be fault codes stored in a module for about 255 drive cycles.  This WON'T be the case if someone 1.  manually erases the codes OR 2. if the module loses powers or grounds to it.

There's been a couple of people mention the loss of a good ground for either the battery or a specific module.  When we deal with grounds specific to a module (body control module Aka BCM, Driver Information Center aka DIC, Powertrain Control module aka PCM, etc) then what usually happens is the module freaks out electrically or simply reboots.  The mechanic responsible for fixing the car would usually be dealing with loss of communications type of fault codes in addition to component related or voltage related types of codes.  The tech should LOAD TEST the power and ground circuits rather than use a resistance check.  This means... test the circuit's integrity while it's actually trying to perform an action.  

When it comes to "cleaning a ground" there's specific way you will want to have this done and simply taking off a ground strap, scuffing it up and putting it back on typically will lead to corrosion issues later on in the vehicle's life.  Usually, a better way would be to loosen and tighten the ground strap a could of times.  Meaning only the point of contact gets scuffed up and then a little bit of dielectric grease could be used to reduce corrosion.  Be leery of the mechanic who pulls off a ground and starts grinding on the surface.

As for the alternator questions, the modern car is SUPER sensitive to battery voltage as well as alternating current (AC). These cars have a LOT of electronics compared to vehicles 5+ years old or more.  The comparison of the 96 Jeep to a 2010 or newer ANYTHING is like comparing apples and bricks.  The slightest drop in alternator output on a GM specifically could put the Powertrain Control Module in to a load-shedding strategy.  Meaning the vehicle will selectively turn off components completely unrelated to engine operating in order to keep the voltage up for the vehicle to continue to operate.  Air Conditioning, Heated seats, Radios, Power Seats... they're all subject to being shut down in order to keep the engine running.

The modern car is also more susceptible to "noise" on the voltage system. The vehicle is designed to operate on 12 volts Direct Current (DC) and the alternator creates Alternating Current which is then rectified in to Direct Current.  Meaning, if the components (diodes) inside the alternator begin to fail they could send out noise (ripple) on the electrical system.  All bets are off as to what components will be affected and how.  

Fortunately, load testing a battery, checking for Alternating Current Ripple and load testing powers and grounds to suspect modules are not terribly difficult tasks.  The primary battery ground cable coming off the battery seems to be a popular fix for some folks and it too is not terribly difficult to load test.

Unfortunately, most of us are to blame for why the modern cars are built the way they are.  We want heated seats, touch screen radios, bluetooth connectivity, adaptive cruise control and self-parking cars.  Ultimately, the auto manufacturers are just putting in the gizmos and gadgets we all want or learn to want.  All of those features require a lot more modules, more technology and more money to meet customer demand.  With that comes complex technology, modules on networks and super-sensitivity to electrical failures.

Hopefully this has shed a little bit of light on to some of your questions of how things act when there is a failure and maybe with a little luck I'll be able to share a known-good fix for you later on.

Cheers,
Doug

• mick15 and ffrench74 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: StabiliTrak, TCS, Radio, 2013 Eco, Need Help

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·