Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Chevrolet Cruze reliability - let's get better info

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mkaresh

mkaresh

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

We've updated our reliability stats for the Cruze to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014. 

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year: 

2014 Cruze: 33, moderate
2013 Cruze: 5, low
2012 Cruze: 49, moderate
2011 Cruze: 71, high

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2012 Cruze: 59, < 1

To view the repairs behind these numbers, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February): 

TrueDelta.com
Car reliability and real-world fuel economy

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Tear

Tear

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

I don't doubt that this is all very useful and informative, but Chevrolet (or GM in general!) have a habit of not taking notice of any customer outside of the USA. It is very interesting for me that "recalls" for safety and "engineering" problems are publicly aired in the USA, but not in Europe.  Out here in Austria the government have seen fit to force manufacturers to tell them about possible safety issues, or potential catastrophic failures.  However, in my 5 years of Cruze Diesel ownership only one such recall (posted from a government department) was received by me in late December.  As I understand it the recall concerns Korean manufactured Cruze models and centres around two distinct problem areas. The first is a gearbox/transmission/suspension issue where some parts need renewing before something falls off! (Great!) The second is to do with the fuel line/distribution for which could have caused a serious and immediate failure.

Today, I took my Cruze to the local dealer to have it looked at.  They told me that they are awaiting parts since December last year (so much for the promised 10 years of parts availability for all Chevrolets' now that the mark has been eclipsed in Europe). The answer to my question of how they knew if my Cruze was affected, I was told every vehicle would have the parts replaced notwithstanding any problems experienced by the owner!!! 

This all led to my second question regarding the diesel fuel line and distribution!  Last April, just two weeks after the yearly service I noticed a strong burning smell as I was driving.  The temperature gauge showed normal and I carried on for a couple of Km to my destination, when I opened the hood and noticed the overflow radiator tank was empty.  I filled it up and drove to the Austrian AutoClub nearby. The temperature gauge still showed normal???  They discovered that the fuel line that rises between the engine block and bulkhead was either punctured or the distribution point fractured.  I was towed to the Chevy dealer workshop when I was informed that the diesel oil had been dripping from the cracked diesel distributor onto the rubber cooling pipes until they had rotted away allowing the coolant to drain off. The repair cost €500 including the parts!  I also had to wait 2 weeks for parts to be found which were eventually delivered from Hungary!!!

Of course, I am wondering if this fuel line/distributor recall is exactly what I've already experienced and if Chevrolet will reimburse me the costs.  I won't hold my breath!

What I would like to see, which would be of great value to owners of all Chevrolets throughout Europe, is a breakdown of all recalls in Europe from day one, as it is clear to me we have all been dealt a bad hand by GM.

• mick15 likes this

#23 OFFLINE   mkaresh

mkaresh

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

The US has a tougher legal environment. They care about not getting sued, or at least getting sued less often :)

We've updated our reliability stats for the Cruze to include owner experiences through September 30, 2015. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year: 

2014 Cruze: 37, moderate
2013 Cruze: 46, moderate
2012 Cruze: 71, high
2011 Cruze: 34, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2014 Cruze: 68, < 1
2012 Cruze: 49, 3

For the details, including repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information (we especially need more cars for the 2015 and up): 

Edited by mkaresh, 25 February 2016 - 01:22 PM.

TrueDelta.com
Car reliability and real-world fuel economy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·