Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Exhaust System Wiring NIGHTMARE

Diesel Exhaust System Lemon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jennifer Kinman Gentry

Jennifer Kinman Gentry

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • My Cruze's Year:2014
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:yep
  • Interests:none

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

My husband and I purchased a 2014 Cruze Diesel in the spring of 2015.  We purchased a USELESS extended warranty that apparently doesn't cover anything.  The existing warranty did cover the NEW TRANSMISSION it needed last November/December.  It did not cover the water pump, however.  Getting the oil changed is a long drawn out nightmare.  Every time, the oil plug has to be replaced because the engine gets so hot that it melts the plug.  I expected to pay more for an oil change because it is a diesel so that isn't an issue.  So, every time the oil has been changed, the dealership has to break the existing oil plug and then scramble around and try to find a replacement.  The latest nightmare with this piece of crap car is the emission system wiring?? I don't even know anymore.  I started getting warnings this past spring that there was an issue with the exhaust system.  I took it to my local dealership and he let me know he couldn't work on the car because they didn't have a diesel mechanic on staff.  We took it to the next closest dealership and they diagnosed the problem but the cost to fix it seemed outrageous so we took it to a local diesel mechanic to have the nox sensors replaced that the code said needed to be replaced NONE OF THIS WAS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.  The error messages didn't go away.  So, we replaced the engine computer.  The error messages didn't go away.  We took it to Mtn View Chevrolet where they said there was "rodent damage" to the wiring but they didn't know where. I'd still like to know how these men knew that a rat chewed through a wire yet they didn't know where it was.  GENIUS!  They must be psychic!  They would not give an estimate and stated they would have to put an "hourly employee in the car and start taking it apart".  We had already sunk a very big chunk of money into repairing this car and could not agree to allow them to start working on the car with no idea as to how much it would cost.  We took it back to our local mechanic and he took the car apart and could not find an issue with the wiring.  We took it back to Mtn. View and apparently they found an issue with the wiring but the part we need to repair the vehicle is not available.  Whomever my husband spoke with says that it could be a week, could be a month.  I HATE THIS CAR.  I have made several questionable choices in my life and two of them have been in purchasing CHEVROLET vehicles!!!!  We thought we were being smart buying a car with a warranty and then buying an extended warranty.  We are a low income family of 5 that already lives paycheck to paycheck.  I can budget ahead for regular maintenance and we get by just fine but I could never have prepared for the raping we have endured with this vehicle.  I thought buying a newer car with a warranty and then extra warranty would pretty much cover any of the out of the ordinary maintenance things that might arise.  I WAS WRONG.  This car has caused so much financial hardship for our family.  There is an issue with it all the time.  I haven't even been able to drive the car since MAY of this year.  It is now nearing the end of September and the mechanic had the audacity to tell us it could be a month before this car is fixed.  I hate Chevrolet.  I will tell everyone I know to stay away from Chevrolet.  If we were not upside down in this car with no options to sell or trade, I'd get rid of it ASAP.  Unfortunately, we are stuck with a lemon that Chevrolet won't fix without charging us an arm and a leg. Needless to say, I am a disgruntled customer!! Do NOT get duped into purchasing an extended warranty.  

• mick15 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:opel
  • Interests:cars

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:50 AM

Sorry to hear your story, it sounds like a nightmare that just won't end. I still believe it is the poor quality of parts used in the US model, no other market have this problem, maybe Chev should buy parts from the Russian Cruze factory?? 

I had a Korean made diesel Cruze, one of the first ones and never had any problems and I see my old Cruze on the road few times a week so it still keeps clattering away in it's slow pace. 

May I guess that the factory offer no support to the dealer network so they have very little motivation and understanding how the car works and what parts are just best to be replaced with good quality parts from another country. It seems one of the major problems is the thermostat, why don't you order one from Australia or korea, replace that and you will see that it may fix some other problems, at least the melting oil filler cap and oxy sensor. 

Mechanics saying that there is a problem with the wiring or the computer have no idea what the problem is, just blame the wiring or the computer, what a load of rubbish, they never fail. 

The lambda (or oxy ) sensors have a limited life and can be damaged if they overheat or breathe in incorrect mixture. Typically the life is about 150 thousand km or about 100 thousand miles.

What error codes are displayed? 

I would talk to diesel experts or someone who knows the Cruze engine, there must be at least one in the US. 

No chevs in my garage either, never. If you ever manage to get rid of the Cruze, get a Toyota, they are simple, good quality and reliable. 

• mick15 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Lagaffe

Lagaffe

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Cruze's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:MY12 2.0VCDI 163hp Auto

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

I'm sorry to hear all that about your Cruze, I have no idea about the market share in the US for diesel cars, but I'm sure there are a few diesel cars out there by now, so there must be some mechanics who can address any problem with your car, even if they are not exactly a "diesel" mechanic. Clearly the main difference in a diesel car vs petrol car is the engine, but everything else works on the same principle. If someone can diagnose a problem in a petrol car, he or she must be able to do the same on a diesel car, because everything in your story sounds like they were just clueless looking for a problem they couldn't find.

If your car gets so hot it can melt the oil plug, imagine what can it do to other parts ? and let's not forget there a lot of "plastic" parts that bolt on, or at least are in contact with your engine ... therefore I wouldn't be surprised if there is any problem with the harness too, but to my mind the first thing to address is to fix that overheat problem, and if the parts available in the US market aren't any good, then go for international suppliers.

I hope you can have it sorted out ASAP.

• mick15 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diesel, Exhaust System, Lemon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·