Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Loose" front suspension

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Haraga

Haraga

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hello Cruze owners...

As much as I can applaud GM on Cruze handling, breaking, and stability, there is an "issue" with the front suspension on my 1.8 LS (2500 km) I would like to open up for comments:

When encountering small pot holes, road bumps, etc., "clunking" noise is heard from the front suspension. For those of us familiar with suspension issues (worn out ball joints, absorbers, coils, tie rods, and bushings), the noise can be best described as if originating from the "loosened" strut towers, as if the springs are not tightened exactly right on the spring pads/seats on the front struts. I realize Cruze has a fairly stiff suspension and this "issue" may be considered normal, but it occurs even after small road imperfections.

Any comments on this?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:opel
  • Interests:cars

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

Hello Cruze owners...

As much as I can applaud GM on Cruze handling, breaking, and stability, there is an "issue" with the front suspension on my 1.8 LS (2500 km) I would like to open up for comments:

When encountering small pot holes, road bumps, etc., "clunking" noise is heard from the front suspension. For those of us familiar with suspension issues (worn out ball joints, absorbers, coils, tie rods, and bushings), the noise can be best described as if originating from the "loosened" strut towers, as if the springs are not tightened exactly right on the spring pads/seats on the front struts. I realize Cruze has a fairly stiff suspension and this "issue" may be considered normal, but it occurs even after small road imperfections.

Any comments on this?

My Cruzes front suspension is fine even on bumpy roads so maybe your's has a problem. Often new cars have loose bolts and nuts, take back to service for inspection. I have checked my front subframe, exhaust pipe and engine mounts for looseness, found a couple that needed a bit tightening.

#3 OFFLINE   BigRedCruze

BigRedCruze

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

The struts also need to be broke in as well they may still be stiff.

#4 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:39 AM

The struts also need to be broke in as well they may still be stiff.

WHAT???? that's a first one. Sorry, I have never heard that shocks need "running in". They are supposed to be "stiff", they absorb the wheel up and down motion by resisting compression and rebound. A faulty shock, when removed from the car, easily compresses in when you push it down with your weight. Progressive shocks resist more as they are pushed in further, such as the Bilstein Sports which I have in my Vectra.

Edited by diesel, 18 December 2010 - 03:46 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Haraga

Haraga

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:04 AM

I am taking the car to the dealer today to be inspected which I somewhat resent due to an issue I had with this dealer and my earlier vehicle...I am hoping it will be a simple matter of re-tightening a few bolts on the strut section and no "bull" talk about some "fault" on my behalf after only 2500 km.
Will report the results of my "mission" :)

#6 OFFLINE   Haraga

Haraga

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:52 AM

I am taking the car to the dealer today to be inspected which I somewhat resent due to an issue I had with this dealer and my earlier vehicle...I am hoping it will be a simple matter of re-tightening a few bolts on the strut section and no "bull" talk about some "fault" on my behalf after only 2500 km.
Will report the results of my "mission" :)

After a test ride, the dealer's mechanic confirmed that there is an unusual sound emanating from the suspension. They suspected it was the plastic cover below the engine section touching the chassis and installed a pair of plastic tie wraps to try to fix it. No apparent issue with suspension was identified, and the "clanking" noise is still evident. A friend of mine who is a mechanic, suggested the disc brake calipers to be the culprit (either a shim, brake pad, m-spring, or guide). So I will check around the front rotors next :)

#7 OFFLINE   takksi

takksi

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

After a test ride, the dealer's mechanic confirmed that there is an unusual sound emanating from the suspension. They suspected it was the plastic cover below the engine section touching the chassis and installed a pair of plastic tie wraps to try to fix it. No apparent issue with suspension was identified, and the "clanking" noise is still evident. A friend of mine who is a mechanic, suggested the disc brake calipers to be the culprit (either a shim, brake pad, m-spring, or guide). So I will check around the front rotors next :)

did you have any joy with this? I had that noise (it is more like something going blublublublublub though - I mean a thudding sound rather than a clunking sound) and it also sounds on even very small imperfections on the road. I had my front shocks replaced and the noise went down drastically. however after a couple of days, it started getting worse. it's driving me mad!

#8 OFFLINE   saloje

saloje

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hello Cruze owners...

Any comments on this?

HI mate !

I have the same problem with my Cruze. On rough roads i hear weird noises like "clunking" from right front wheel. Been to my mechanics 2 times now and they said everything is alright, but i know it's not. Just wandering how did you solve your problem and what was a problam anyway ?

Thx for replying to this and sry for english :)

Edited by saloje, 14 February 2011 - 02:10 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   SerjuRO

SerjuRO

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:49 AM

I have the same problem with front suspension noises, I went today to the dealer, they checked and ,, everything is ok, no abnormal play was detected on the parts involved......"
They suggested that the problem may be some rubber part located on the top of the shock absorber, rubber that is in contact with the bodywork..........., they may made from ,,too stiff rubber"
I am to wait a month or so and get back to exchange those rubbe parts..............
2009 Cruze 1.6 LSplus (petrol)

#10 OFFLINE   takksi

takksi

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:54 AM

I have the same problem with front suspension noises, I went today to the dealer, they checked and ,, everything is ok, no abnormal play was detected on the parts involved......"
They suggested that the problem may be some rubber part located on the top of the shock absorber, rubber that is in contact with the bodywork..........., they may made from ,,too stiff rubber"
I am to wait a month or so and get back to exchange those rubbe parts..............

are they referring to the top bushings that should attenuate the bumps between the shocks and the body? i have a feeling that that might be the problem but i don't know i'm lost now. I'm getting my car in to the garage next week and i'm leaving it there for 3 days for them to play with and try to fix....

#11 OFFLINE   SerjuRO

SerjuRO

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:09 AM

I guess so but they did not show me the rubber part or a drawing with the part...................
They told me that the rubber part is in between the metal body and the top of the shock absorber.
Maybe can be exchanged with a softer rubber or put more torque on the big nut on top of the shocks or put some rubber gromet between the metal body and the original hard rubber part....

#12 OFFLINE   takksi

takksi

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

I guess so but they did not show me the rubber part or a drawing with the part...................
They told me that the rubber part is in between the metal body and the top of the shock absorber.
Maybe can be exchanged with a softer rubber or put more torque on the big nut on top of the shocks or put some rubber gromet between the metal body and the original hard rubber part....

i would stick to the softer rubber replacement if it were up to me (obviously if that was actually the problem). i hope they'll solve it for me next week - and if they do i'll post what the problem was here for the benefit of whoever is experiencing the same problem as I am. Obviously this given that they actually tell me what was wrong :)

#13 OFFLINE   etac_owiec

etac_owiec

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze SW 2.0 VCDi

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

i would stick to the softer rubber replacement if it were up to me (obviously if that was actually the problem). i hope they'll solve it for me next week - and if they do i'll post what the problem was here for the benefit of whoever is experiencing the same problem as I am. Obviously this given that they actually tell me what was wrong :)

I have same issue, and was at last weekend at service. They check everything and told me that Cruze which they know have same problem. My answer was that I'm not accept this, because same suspension we have at Astra J and there is no noise during running on bumpy road. After one Hour I got answer - absorbers must be change under warranty - clearance between piston and cylinder .
We will see of they have right when will be change.

visit us. New forum in Poland, we know more than others www.chevroletteampoland.com

#14 OFFLINE   jovan_macedonia

jovan_macedonia

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

I have same issue, and was at last weekend at service. They check everything and told me that Cruze which they know have same problem. My answer was that I'm not accept this, because same suspension we have at Astra J and there is no noise during running on bumpy road. After one Hour I got answer - absorbers must be change under warranty - clearance between piston and cylinder .
We will see of they have right when will be change.

Hi
I think that the diference between the Astra J and the Cruze (I am talking about the suspension and noise) is isolation. Noise isolation is very important and that is what makes a luxury car be a luxury car. Every suspension on any car is noisy by default. But the isolation is what makes less noisy and comfortable driving. In my opinion, Cruze has very poor isolation. But if you ask me, I would pay some "extra money" and have better isolated and quiter car. By ADAC test, the Astra is some 3-4 db quiter than the Cruze on 130km/h driving speed.

Edited by jovan_macedonia, 01 April 2011 - 09:49 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   takksi

takksi

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hi
I think that the diference between the Astra J and the Cruze (I am talking about the suspension and noise) is isolation. Noise isolation is very important and that is what makes a luxury car be a luxury car. Every suspension on any car is noisy by default. But the isolation is what makes less noisy and comfortable driving. In my opinion, Cruze has very poor isolation. But if you ask me, I would pay some "extra money" and have better isolated and quiter car. By ADAC test, the Astra is some 3-4 db quiter than the Cruze on 130km/h driving speed.

be it an astra, a cruze or whatever - i definitely won't go for another GM after the experience i have with the cruze. besides the suspension noises, road noise, cabin rattles and what not - i also got the airbag light on now!!

#16 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:26 PM

The rubber bush between shock top and body has to be fairly hard, I doubt that there is a softer option available. the tightening of the top nut beyond specs won't make much difference, it just keeps the spring shock assy together and the top plate must have a clearance between it and the chassis. it is the type of suspension, remember it is a german design, same as Astra or Vectra and they are inherently noisy. you can lower your tyre pressure to reduce the impact when the tyre hits a hole in the road. Never put hard sidewall tyres in this car if the noise bothers you.
If you look at the suspension, between the road surface and the chassis there are only the tyre, which absorbs most of the bumps and the hard rubber bush at the top of the shock. you cant change the rubber so it really leaves only the tyre that you can change. You do not have low profile sports tyres do you?

Edited by diesel, 03 April 2011 - 06:30 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   SerjuRO

SerjuRO

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:06 AM

@Diesel
I understand what you say.
I have the original tyres, Kumho Solus. 205/60R16...I keep the air pressure between 2,2 and 2,4 atm.....
I know that all Cruze owners are complaining about the same problem and the conclusion is that this is how it's built.........
Anyway, even on my last budget car, a romanian Dacia Logan 1,5dci, the front suspension was really quiet.
In my previous cars, this knocking noise was a sure indication of a problem........

#18 OFFLINE   takksi

takksi

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:18 AM

The rubber bush between shock top and body has to be fairly hard, I doubt that there is a softer option available. the tightening of the top nut beyond specs won't make much difference, it just keeps the spring shock assy together and the top plate must have a clearance between it and the chassis. it is the type of suspension, remember it is a german design, same as Astra or Vectra and they are inherently noisy. you can lower your tyre pressure to reduce the impact when the tyre hits a hole in the road. Never put hard sidewall tyres in this car if the noise bothers you.
If you look at the suspension, between the road surface and the chassis there are only the tyre, which absorbs most of the bumps and the hard rubber bush at the top of the shock. you cant change the rubber so it really leaves only the tyre that you can change. You do not have low profile sports tyres do you?

Hi mate, mine's the same problem basically. i've also got the stock tires that come with it, although mine are 225 17" (came like that from the factory). at the moment, when driving over bumpy roads, it feels as if there's a lot of things that have gone loose in the car and everything is rattling and bumping against each other. sounds like you have loads of stuff in the boot that is not secured and is just running around the boot.

#19 OFFLINE   diesel

diesel

Cruze Fanatic

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:27 AM

Hi mate, mine's the same problem basically. i've also got the stock tires that come with it, although mine are 225 17" (came like that from the factory). at the moment, when driving over bumpy roads, it feels as if there's a lot of things that have gone loose in the car and everything is rattling and bumping against each other. sounds like you have loads of stuff in the boot that is not secured and is just running around the boot.

Are you sure there are no loose things in the car? I have been caught with little things rolling in door pockets and ash trays, how about the spare and tools in the boot? take them off for a week and see what happens. Mine is a bit lumpy too, slight noise on bumpy roads from front and rear, doesn't really bother me yet, it still is quiet on smooth roads. Make sure battery is well fixed in and does not move.

#20 OFFLINE   takksi

takksi

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:32 AM

Are you sure there are no loose things in the car? I have been caught with little things rolling in door pockets and ash trays, how about the spare and tools in the boot? take them off for a week and see what happens. Mine is a bit lumpy too, slight noise on bumpy roads from front and rear, doesn't really bother me yet, it still is quiet on smooth roads. Make sure battery is well fixed in and does not move.

yep the car's quite empty. luggage boot doesn't have anything except spare tire which i made sure is totally secured in place. i haven't checked the battery yet though. however, what i noticed is that the air-filter housing is quite loose (but i don't think it's that that's doing the noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·