Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DON'T buy a Cruze with a turbocharger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   martinsxx

martinsxx

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:sports

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:20 PM

I bought one of the first U.S. model Cruzes in 2010, a 2011 model. SIx and a half years later the check engine light came on indicating a turbocharger problem. I only have 28,000 miles on the car and the freaking turbocharger, intercooler, and a few other parts have to be REPLACED at a cost of over $2,000!!

I contacted the dealer as well as Chevrolet customer service and they absolutely and completely refused to pay for any part of the repair since the 5 year drivetrain warranty expired 18 months ago. They don't care that the car only has 28,000 miles. Incredible. Think twice about buying any Chevrolet with a turbocharger if you will keep it more than 5 years because one day you too can be driving and the dreaded check engine light will come on and tell you Chevrolet's poor quality turbocharger has failed and you will have to spend thousands to get it replaced.

You have been warned.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

If you only did 28,000 miles in six and one-half years, that's about 4,000 miles per year - the poor engine never got broken in, and the poor turbo-charger would have been starved of the lubrication and cooling it needed to survive.

In other words, you killed it, don't blame the engineers who designed it to work much harder than you let it.

• mick15 likes this

168124.png

#3 OFFLINE   martinsxx

martinsxx

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:sports

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the idiotic response. The car was fully broken in the first year. Show me where Chevrolet says you have to drive 15,000 miles a year, every year, or the turbo will fail due to "lack of lubrication".

#4 OFFLINE   grs1961

grs1961

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • Current Vehicle:Holden JG Cruze CD Diesel
  • Interests:.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

And your initial post is even more idiotic - a sample of one Cruze blows its turbo-charger after six and a half years therefore they will all blow their turbo-chargers.

It's a cheap car, it's designed and built to fit certain assumptions about the way it will be driven, if you go outside those assumptions it may break, or it may last forever.  The way to bet is that it will break.

• mick15 likes this

168124.png

#5 OFFLINE   captfrog

captfrog

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Cruze's Year:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze LT Hatchback
  • Interests:Boating, fishing, camping, wine, food, family, friends.

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

I just got on this forum even though I have had my Cruze LT since last Feb, 2017 and currently have 10,150 miles on it, with now issues thus far.

With that out of the way, I have to say that both of you, grs1961 and martinsxx, are idiots.  Since when does it do any good to put forth snarky comments?

It does nothing to endure decent commentary and does more to foster divisiveness.  Why bother even commenting?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·