Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Turbo Diagnostics/Purchase

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   desoto97

desoto97

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • My Cruze's Year:2012
  • My Cruze: mycruze
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Buell Xb1200, Buick Enclave, Jeep GC
  • Interests:motorcycles, vehicle wrenching, target shooting, road trips, camping, electronics, racing simulator building, gaming

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:07 PM

Hello forum peeps!

I'm new to the Cruze world (my first Cruze & first post) though not new to bowties or wrenching, so I'm hoping I'll be able to contribute more than I consume, lol. I'm NOT very versed with turbo cars though either, having only had 3 out of the 20 or so cars I've owned. Finally, I'm in the Inland Empire area of California as an fyi.

Anyway, quick turbo question but I'll provide a little background first. Bought a 2012 eco with currently 104k miles on it. Needed an econo box to offset my suv's and motorcycle. Can't leave well enough alone though so I'm working on some visual aesthetics, and adding a bit more stank on the motor. Nothing radical at all right now; standard stuff, but I also want the stock mechanicals to work as well as possible.

This brings me to my issue: The car is bone stock save for an AEM intake at the moment. I notice a few things when the turbo spools up: 1.) If I roll the gas and eventually reach WOT, it seems the turbo has a sweet spot, then backs off; reminiscent of an 80's turbo Charger I had that would have a bad vacuum leak near full boost. The power just isn't linear.

Also, holding the gas at certain RPM's creates a horsepower pulsing feeling. Again, feels like the turbo can't maintain a steady boost.

I pulled the trigger on a boost gauge so I'll have that installed this weekend or next, but I don't imagine that's a 'proper' way to diagnose turbo issues.

Seems I can get a new turbo setup for about $400 new, so if it's just a matter of age (again, over 100k on a turbo) I'll replace. I'd first like to see if anyone knows how I can check it out first though. I've read a few posts on here with people having what *could* be a similar issue, and broken turbo fins can happen at greater mileage. I'm changing plugs before I do anything else since this is a used vehicle, but everything else works perfectly and the engine is otherwise smooth as silk and I get 32-ish mpg in crap mixed freeway traffic; 43+ at smooth but higher speed traffic. Got over 52 mpg (using old school pump/price math) for over 100 miles in Arizona with a nice tail-wind, lmao.

Anyway, any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I DO end up just buying a new setup, I'm guessing since I'll have the new OEM BPV, I should hold off on another $160 for the Forge, until I'm ready to add boost/tune, yes? I can't see it being helpful for performance until I get that done.

Thanks everyone!

-D

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·