Custom Search

Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Chevrolet Cruze forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more!
Click here to signup now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rattling Noise from the rear

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sboisture

sboisture

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

Ok, took the 2011 1LT Cruze back to the dealer two days ago. There is a rattling noise coming from the rear of the car. Sometimes it sounds like it could be coming from the front also, but the technicians traced it to the rear of the vehicle. They took the seats out, the bumper off, spare tire out, etc, pretty much have the rear of the car and the interior stripped out. They put mechanics in the car and drove around and they still cannot pinpoint the noise. Any ideas?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   1robertmkelly

1robertmkelly

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

I have had a bad strut that rattled. Something inside was loose even though it worked fine. It rattled the most driving around a parking lot that was not real smooth

#3 OFFLINE   jovan_macedonia

jovan_macedonia

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

I have had a bad strut that rattled. Something inside was loose even though it worked fine. It rattled the most driving around a parking lot that was not real smooth

If you mean about the sound that happends everytime you drive through road bumps, I hear that too, it sounds like broken suspension or something like that. I personaly think it's the plastic covers on the shock absorbers, they are not strong plastic and they sway easily.
Or maybe it's the plastic covers under the rear "under wings" of the car.

Edited by jovan_macedonia, 27 January 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   takksi

takksi

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

If you mean about the sound that happends everytime you drive through road bumps, I hear that too, it sounds like broken suspension or something like that. I personaly think it's the plastic covers on the shock absorbers, they are not strong plastic and they sway easily.
Or maybe it's the plastic covers under the rear "under wings" of the car.

I hear that noise all the time too (over slightly bumpy roads, over speed humps, all the bloody time). I hear mine from both front and rear. I took my car to the dealer and I got my front shock absorbers replaced. The noise went down to almost nothing, but then after a couple of days it started getting worse again. I have to talk to the garage guys again now. It's driving me mad.

The noise is like a bobbing sound - like something going blublublublublub over bumps (even the slightest ones).

Edited by takksi, 06 February 2011 - 06:52 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   penelopeklimas

penelopeklimas

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

I do agree with your opinions.Thanks for your appreciation.I really appreciate for giving this information.Very well said, thanks for all.I will try my best.I expect you will also give this type of information in future.

#6 OFFLINE   edrocks

edrocks

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Music, digital recording, IT Process Management, Quality Standards (e.g. CMMI, ITIL, etc.)

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:39 AM

I hear that noise all the time too (over slightly bumpy roads, over speed humps, all the bloody time). I hear mine from both front and rear. I took my car to the dealer and I got my front shock absorbers replaced. The noise went down to almost nothing, but then after a couple of days it started getting worse again. I have to talk to the garage guys again now. It's driving me mad.

The noise is like a bobbing sound - like something going blublublublublub over bumps (even the slightest ones).

Hi Takksi,

I experience the noise, and it's obviously coming from the rear. An as you said even the slightest bumps on the road triggers that noise...I had it for an ocular inspection at my Chevy dealer, but so far the mechanic only has theories, he suspect that it may be as small as a minor part that's loose hence the "rattling" sound. I don't know yet, I have to find time next week to have it checked again and perhaps have them do some part-per-part check in the suspension.

How's yours so far? Did they resolve it? And found the parts causing it, the real rootcause?

Cheers!

Eds

#7 OFFLINE   takksi

takksi

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

Hi Takksi,

I experience the noise, and it's obviously coming from the rear. An as you said even the slightest bumps on the road triggers that noise...I had it for an ocular inspection at my Chevy dealer, but so far the mechanic only has theories, he suspect that it may be as small as a minor part that's loose hence the "rattling" sound. I don't know yet, I have to find time next week to have it checked again and perhaps have them do some part-per-part check in the suspension.

How's yours so far? Did they resolve it? And found the parts causing it, the real rootcause?

Cheers!

Eds

Hi Eds... mine's at the mechanic at the moment - been at them for 3 days now while I'm abroad. I'll pick up the car tomorrow and see how it goes. Hopefully they found the problem and fixed it. Sounds like a 15 year old junk rattling over the bumps. By the way my sounds come mainly from the front but even the back occasionally.

#8 OFFLINE   edrocks

edrocks

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Music, digital recording, IT Process Management, Quality Standards (e.g. CMMI, ITIL, etc.)

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have suspected several possible causes to the noise... based on what i've read so far in other threads, one likely cause is the brake calipers to which i feel is pretty loose compared to other new cars like honda civic and altis... I was able to grab the brake caliper with my hands and moved it up & down and sideways... it is loose like i feel there's a gap between somewhere in the assembly...the sound that i get is almost exactly the same sound i hear when i drive on coarse or bumpy roads... i think it's not a functional hazard but the assembly should have a tighter design in order to justify their so called "remarkable" low NVH cabin. I didn't expect the sound can be caused from a brake assembly, knowing it's a new car.

#9 OFFLINE   takksi

takksi

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

I have suspected several possible causes to the noise... based on what i've read so far in other threads, one likely cause is the brake calipers to which i feel is pretty loose compared to other new cars like honda civic and altis... I was able to grab the brake caliper with my hands and moved it up & down and sideways... it is loose like i feel there's a gap between somewhere in the assembly...the sound that i get is almost exactly the same sound i hear when i drive on coarse or bumpy roads... i think it's not a functional hazard but the assembly should have a tighter design in order to justify their so called "remarkable" low NVH cabin. I didn't expect the sound can be caused from a brake assembly, knowing it's a new car.

I don't know what to say honestly. I took my car in last week as I said for 3 days and I got it back on Friday. They've changed my shocks with a set from the new version of the Cruze. Most of the rumbling noise inside the cabin has gone but the thudding coming from the suspension is still there (although not as pronounced as before). However, when I took it in 3 months ago the same thing had happened - low cabin noise and less thudding from the suspensions - but it started increasing after 2 days and went back to square one after a week or two. So I guess the same thing's going to happen now.

Also, with regards to the brakes, a loose break would do a clicking sound whereas a shock absorber would do a thudding sound (like mine) wouldn't it be so?

#10 OFFLINE   jovan_macedonia

jovan_macedonia

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hi
I hear that rattling noise to the rear most of the time. I also suspected the brake calipers, but, although they are loose and I also can move them with my hands I made a little test. I was driving , slowly of course, downhil on a very bumpy road with my handbrake on but the car was moving a little bit, and with the handbrake on the brake calipers are tight and tensioned and they should not be making any noise or clicking sound. But the noise was still there although force was applied to the calipers. So I think it's the shock absorbers that make the noise... Maybe the rubber, maybe some plastic, ... don't know. And it's strange that sometimes the noise is too low that I can barely hear it, but sometimes is very annoying and it's caused by not very bumpy road.
Best wishes and I hope someone will solve this "mistery" once and for all. :victory:

#11 OFFLINE   toufovou

toufovou

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

These new Cruze rattle all over so... um ok...

#12 OFFLINE   takksi

takksi

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

These new Cruze rattle all over so... um ok...

lol - really encouraging. what i know is that i'm getting no more GM cars though!

#13 OFFLINE   Karrie

Karrie

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

First Chevy... hard to say, love it and hate it! I have literally had it with the service department at the dealership I bought my Cruze from. Just under 7000k miles I started hearing this rattling noise like something was metal rolling around the spare tire compartment or the rear right passenger side. First thought it was the factory installed splash guards that clip into the body. At it's first oil change the tech put a spacer to reduce the friction. Noise went away until I got over the mountain back home. Took it in again, after tearing apart the trunk down the body looking for the cause of this "rattle"... nothing. Noticed the plastic dust covers over the shocks... looked down and loose compared to the driver side rear. Hmmm. took it back to Chevy. Shop Foreman stated he'd order a new shock for that one side and drive it over the next few days. Took it back Friday on Veteran's Day, I've had it with that noise. Shop Manager stated they would look into it further attaching microphones in the areas of the rattle and to determine if it's metal or plastic and the exact areas. Sooo, it comes back as to the rattle is in the trunk where the spare tire was. Really? Really? I looked in there and nothing. Umm, okay... sound seems to be gone... (for now at this point) after getting the car back. Ran some errands in the area. Came off the highway and now I hear a wub wub wub wub sound from the same side when I gradually apply the brakes in speeds under 40. What the hell?! So, now here we go again... I did NOT once see my car back in the back or on the lift. Now, there is talks with GM's Techs in Michigan that the wub wub noise is the sliders on the calipers. This morning the drive into work, pulled onto Ft Bliss, guess what the rattle noise is back too!

Any new suggestions or solutions?

I'm at my wits end with this car and dealership

#14 OFFLINE   Taffy_CS

Taffy_CS

Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Cruze CS
  • Interests:BTCC, WTCC, DTM, WRC, F1, Detailing and The Dukes Of Hazzard!!!!

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

I have a similar noise when going over rough roads, a kind of 'hollow' sound and I think I know what it is. I personally think it is the cheap material used to line the boot/trunk.

My wife is a Zumba instructor and when she has got her speakers, amp etc in the boot, the noise goes, but when the boot is empty, the noise is very loud. I've put it down to noises echoing in the boot when its empty but goes when there are things in there.

If you knock on the rear shelf and on the boot lining material, it is very hard plastic and does sound very cheap. My plan to cure it is:

I'm going to firstly remove the rear parcel shelf lining, apply some Dynamat sound deadening material and go from there. If that does not cure it then I plan to remove the boot/trunk lining and carpet and apply it throughout there.

Basically, I personally don't think that it is anything loose hence why no technician's can find a fault but just the noise from the boot/trunk material as it's quite thin and very hard and not flexible.

Will keep you updated on any progress.

Hope this helps,

Paul.
2010 Cruze LT, 2.0 TD, Morrocan Blue with CS Kit (Lowered Suspension, Boot Spoiler, White 18" Alloys), Ally door pins. Carbon Fibre Door Trims. Illuminated sill trims. Chrome Indicator bulbs. LED Interior bulbs.

CHECK OUT MY CARBON FIBRE EFFECT BADGES AND TRIMS AND GLOSS BLACK BADGES I HAVE FOR SALE ON EBAY (mantacrazy)

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Karrie

Karrie

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

As of the other day, the rattle is still there. Now, the "sliders" in the calipers have been replaced to correct the "wub wub wub" sound when I gradually brake to a stop... that was never there until I picked up the car on the 15th of November. The search for the "rattle" was still on as of yesterday. The Adviser, informed me that the Technician was had inspected the suspension, the sensors on that tire, and the shock... couldn't really say at the moment what was really going on. Then told me that my car was being put back together and gonna give it a test today to see if the rattle is still there or has it gone away for another few days like it always does.... The sound is extremely obvious to everyone now from the Adviser, Technician and the Shop Manager.

#16 OFFLINE   ruff_ryder66

ruff_ryder66

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Cruze

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

As of the other day, the rattle is still there. Now, the "sliders" in the calipers have been replaced to correct the "wub wub wub" sound when I gradually brake to a stop... that was never there until I picked up the car on the 15th of November. The search for the "rattle" was still on as of yesterday. The Adviser, informed me that the Technician was had inspected the suspension, the sensors on that tire, and the shock... couldn't really say at the moment what was really going on. Then told me that my car was being put back together and gonna give it a test today to see if the rattle is still there or has it gone away for another few days like it always does.... The sound is extremely obvious to everyone now from the Adviser, Technician and the Shop Manager.

hi

Whether someone has solved the problem?

Thx

#17 OFFLINE   jirehn

jirehn

Cruze Addict

• Cruze Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

I think I have the same problem right now, Update me about the solution you do so that I could have an idea.

#18 OFFLINE   rdinatal

rdinatal

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

My ECO had an intermittant rattle at 10k miles when going slow over small bumps, almost sounded like a wheel bearing. Sometimes it could be reproduced when stopped by hitting the wheel with the heel of your hand. The dealer traced it to the rear suspension bushings at the frame. They replaced all bushings, no more noise...

-R

#19 OFFLINE   jeff rider

jeff rider

New Cruze Member

• Cruze Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 cruise

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

Ive got the same rattiling noise coming from the rear of my 2012 cruise, the dealer replaced shocks and struts front and rear and the noise pretty much went away for a week or so ,that tells me the gm. shocks are the problem ,im almost ready to replace the rear shocks with a set of aftermarket higher quality ones,if it works i think its worth the price,

• mick15 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   Chevy Cust Service

Chevy Cust Service

Cruze Member

• Official Chevrolet
  • 249 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Cruze

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

Ive got the same rattiling noise coming from the rear of my 2012 cruise, the dealer replaced shocks and struts front and rear and the noise pretty much went away for a week or so ,that tells me the gm. shocks are the problem ,im almost ready to replace the rear shocks with a set of aftermarket higher quality ones,if it works i think its worth the price,

Hi jeff rider,

Glad to see you've been working with your dealer to fix the noise with your shocks, but apologize if they're not operating to your as you'd like . Just so you know, replacing your shocks with aftermarket ones does have the ability to void your Bumper to Bumper warranty. If you have any questions or if there's anything we can address in the future, please feel free to reach out to us.

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

~Chevrolet Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/pr...-statement.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·